12Next
Back New
View: 539|Reply: 10

Question Can someone help me with 4K on my AVR and Xbox One S?

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
27-11-2019 02:16:51 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
Hi all,

I'm trying to work out what's going on.   I just got a new Denon AVR-X540BT from Richer Sounds and I plugged my Xbox One S via HDMI into the "Game" port on the back, and this is what I get in the Display configuration:

My TV is definitely a 4K one (Hisense LTDN50K321UWTSEU) so am I being hampered by HDCP or something? My Denon AVR is certainly "HDCP 2.2 compliant"

When I plug the Xbox directly into the TV via HDMI the values are different, I get this:

Use magic Report

27-11-2019 02:16:52 Mobile | Show all posts
Is the Denon vid input set to "Through"?
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 27-11-2019 02:16:53 Mobile | Show all posts
I have no idea, I don't even know how i'd check that but i'll have a good look through the menus tonight, thanks for the tip!

Use magic Report

27-11-2019 02:16:53 Mobile | Show all posts
The user manual is really poor for this AVR. This is all I could find with regards to 4k anything of any use..

"When connecting a 4K / HDCP 2.2 compatible player, connect to either the HDMI 3, HDMI 4, or HDMI 5 input connector"...

There's nothing of note regarding passing a video signal "unmolested" through the AVR. Not very helpful.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 27-11-2019 02:16:54 Mobile | Show all posts
I didn't actually realise AVRs "molest" an image at all, I assumed they just pas video straight through, and only attempted to do clever stuff with the sound.  I did choose the Game port because it has the "4K/HDCP 2.2" thing above those ports.

Use magic Report

27-11-2019 02:16:54 Mobile | Show all posts
Almost all AVRs use/implement some kind of video processing to sharpen/upscale. Depending on brand/model the user has to tell the AVR to pass through video as this isn't always the default setting.

On Onkyo AVRs, in the settings UI you go to Set up> 1. Input/Output Assign> 1. Monitor Out> Monitor Out = Main, Resolution = Through.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
27-11-2019 02:16:54 Mobile | Show all posts
These are Denon's own suggestions for fixing such issues. See the number 4 option regarding HDR, if this setting on the AVR is available turn it on but leave HDR disabled on the Xbox and the display output as 8-bit not 10-bit.

Another cause though unlikely as it may seem are the HDMI cables, even though it works with the TV it is worth trying another HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2 cable with the Xbox and also the AVR's output to the TV just in case.

It's possible the TV being a non-HDR 4K display is part of the issue if the Denon probes the TV, it may not be doing that but if thats true then the Xbox should see all the 4K/HDR features of the Denon as if it were a TV... so something strange is going on for sure.

A factory reset of the AVR to it's default settings wouldn't hurt either, it's defaults are all auto so it should just work, there doesn't seem to be any firmware updates for the AVR either.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 27-11-2019 02:16:54 Mobile | Show all posts
I can only see this:

HDMI Audio Out: AVR
HDMI Passthrough: On
- Pass Source: DVD/Blu-ray
HDMI Control: On
- ARC: On
- TV Audio Switching: On
- Pow.Off Control: All

Thanks for the response, I'd too started thinking about the cables, I haven't bought a new HDMI cable for at least 2 years, so I did wonder if some of them aren't compatible.  I read up and HDMI 2.1 has been released, although it's pretty tricky to see what you're buying as the HDCP standard is 2.0 lol.

I think a few things may be my issue, I just did a bit of faffing around and I noticed have 4 HDMI ports on the TV, 2 say "2.0" next to them, the other 2 say "MHL" and "ARC".  So although it's unusual/annoying that the ARC socket would not be HDMI 2.0, I have to assume it is not (I never got ARC working anyway) so i'll give it all a go through the 2.0 socket tomorrow (I.e. the Denon AVR fed to the 2.0 socket instead of the ARC it's currently in)

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
27-11-2019 02:16:55 Mobile | Show all posts
There isn't a whole lot of info on your TV model but from what I could find here it says 3 ports are HDMI 2.0 based and 1 is HDMI 1.4 based.

If you have not updated your HDMI cables in some time you will need to, this brand is HDMI 2.0 certified and don't cost much either.

If your running all your set top boxes through the Denon there isn't much use for ARC unless you want the audio from TV tuner or smart TV apps channeled into the Denon, if you don't use either of those there is no need for it.

If you do want to use ARC keeping in mind this will limit you to Dolby 5.1 audio in your TV sound settings under advanced audio settings set
digital audio output = raw (this is Dolby 5.1, PCM setting is stereo)
TV speaker & ARC = ARC

You may also need to enable HDMI-CEC (Control) on the TV too.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 27-11-2019 02:16:55 Mobile | Show all posts
OK so I swapped the port which the AVR connects to on the back of the TV and now, with the Xbox connected through the AVR, I can see 4K in the Video resolution.......but could I still benefit in any way from the new standard of cables?

Use magic Report

12Next
Back New
You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部