View: 600|Reply: 11

New Router For X Box One X

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
27-11-2019 02:28:24 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
Got my pre-order in for the 'Project Scorpio' edition earlier this week but have been looking at upgrading my router ( Currently BT Home Hub 4 on Infinity 1 fibre).

Had been using this with my X Box One S until recently (sold X Box S few weeks back) without too many problems but am wondering if I wouldn't benefit from upgrading the router in anticipation of the X.

Have been recommended the TP-Link Archer VR900 v2 and also the Netgear Nighthawk X4S D7800
- any of you use either of these or can you recommend others along with any tips for setting up would be appreciated.

Would be using alongside the Openreach modem as well.

Use magic Report

27-11-2019 02:28:25 Mobile | Show all posts
I get great coverage and throughput with an Asus RT-AC68U. Had an RT-N66U before and that was good too. The UPnP on these can handle multiple Xboxes and PlayStations with Open NAT too.

I've heard good things about the Netgear Nighthawk series, particularly R7000, but not tried them myself.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 27-11-2019 02:28:26 Mobile | Show all posts
Was the Asus easy to set up?

Use magic Report

27-11-2019 02:28:27 Mobile | Show all posts
Yes. On first use or after a factory reset, it has some prompts to get you going. I find its settings pages quite easy to follow, but I like tinkering with router settings.

There's quite a bit of support online for the Asus routers and there's great third-party firmware available from Merlin, if that's your thing. His firmware adds fixes and enhancements to Asus' stock firmware, so it still feels similar to stock firmware, but with improved performance and functionality. Asus even incorporate some of Merlin's work into their official builds.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
27-11-2019 02:28:28 Mobile | Show all posts
Hi there

I have the BT hub 4 with the openreach white modem and a single band apple epress, I was thinking of going for the Asus RT-AC88U router.  The reason been you can contol your wifi and wired network for gaming as somtimes my wife streams video and kills my gaming.  

This is a router problem as i get 70mb line. I was thinking of going for the BT Mesh home system but read its just an extension of the router which is no good as you prob still get problems with data priority.

Plus i need airplay so i might turn off my airport express as a wifi extender and just use it to stream music and get the asus router and see how i go.

the only problem i can see is that bt now dont supplie the white openreach modme and just give you a home hub 6 but i am not to sure if you can connect a asus router to it and just use that as the router and turn it off in the homehub 6 as this might casue problems in the future, unless bt can still give you a openreach modem if it goes down

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 27-11-2019 02:28:29 Mobile | Show all posts
the only problem i can see is that bt now dont supplie the white openreach modme and just give you a home hub 6 but i am not to sure if you can connect a asus router to it and just use that as the router and turn it off in the homehub 6 as this might casue problems in the future, unless bt can still give you a openreach modem if it goes down

Just had a look at the manual for the router you mention - it's connected the same as all the others I've looked at so far - the white Openreach modem connects to the 'WAN' input on the new router then run setup.

I also use a TP-Link AV500 Powerline Wi-Fi kit so I'll simply connect that to one of the LAN sockets on the new router. Then all my kit that is connected via wired connections I connect to the other TP-Link Powerline in my AV room, equipment that I use via wi-fi I'll connect directly to the new router which will be in the hall.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
27-11-2019 02:28:30 Mobile | Show all posts
yep that is right but i am saying is if you can not get a replacment openreach modem later on if yours goes down and you get the HH6 i am not to sure how that would work with a seprate router as the homehub 6 has both modem and router inside.

the hh6 would have to have a option to disable the router side of it and then use it as a modem only if there is no option for that then your stuck. unless you buy another openreach modem from somwhere

its just somthing to think about

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
27-11-2019 02:28:31 Mobile | Show all posts
Traffic shaping aka QoS (quality of service) is pretty complex but Asus routers have a friendly enough UI to it.

This is their manual to it, you can assign more upload bandwidth to the Xbox so the video streaming doesn't strangle it.

I don't know if you have access to the QoS mode if the Asus is not acting as the router* but only as a basic access point**, if I were to guess you probably need it running in router mode.

(*existing router/modem plugged into Asus WAN port)
(**Asus plugged into existing router/modem LAN port, disable UPnP on Asus).

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 27-11-2019 02:28:32 Mobile | Show all posts
Very useful information - it will be used with an existing modem with the new hardware as the router.

Use magic Report

27-11-2019 02:28:33 Mobile | Show all posts
I've never got on with QoS. I've tried it quite a few times, but because Virgin Media broadband speed is never consistent, especially during peak times, adding QoS into the mix is another thing that affects the performance of our broadband. Particularly where it relies on you to set down and up speed values for it to work properly.

Use magic Report

12Next
Back New
You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部