View: 412|Reply: 4

Question Are "look-alike" controllers legal?

[Copy link]
27-11-2019 02:28:47 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
I've seen a lot of controllers that resemble the official xbox controller, but with small variations (such as color or an extra button), or at much cheaper prices.

Are these controllers actually legal. Or can they be considered to infringe in Microsoft's IP and are therefore illegal?

I'm not really quibbling their quality or the merits of their design, just as to whether they can be considered legal?

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
27-11-2019 02:28:48 Mobile | Show all posts
So long as no-one sticks a copyright protected logo on them then no-one really cares all that much, that includes Microsoft.

Wether that shape of the controller is protected by IP or copyright law I've no idea but people have been making look alike controllers for a very long time going back decades so it's not an issue.

It's also a niche market these days as only the official xbox controllers are wireless so thats pretty much what everyone buys. The look alikes are wired only.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

27-11-2019 02:28:49 Mobile | Show all posts
As long as the controller has no mods that can interupt internet traffic no one cares. Start lag switching though and get a permaban real quick.

Use magic Report

Author| 27-11-2019 02:28:50 Mobile | Show all posts
I think that you may  have misunderstood the nature of the question.

Use magic Report

27-11-2019 02:28:50 Mobile | Show all posts
Legal to sell? As long as no logos or direct copying of original design points have been used? Yes.
Scuff controllers are aftermarket "lookalikes" and are sold on the open market.
Legal to use? As I said in my previous post, turbo buttons don't directly infringe microsoft or sonys t&c's but are generally frowned upon by the serious gamer community. Lag switches or other devices that interupt data or connectivity however do contravene both parties t&c's and can result in permanent console bans and on occasion can lead to legal action.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部