View: 420|Reply: 4

Question Xbox360 BC question

[Copy link]
27-11-2019 02:28:57 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
Just picked up an Xbox 360 Slim mainly to play Outrun 2/2006 via BC and was wondering if anyone has these two titles or can comment on the quality of the BC in general?

It's been a while since I last played them on the original hardware and thought it would be easier and clearer via the more modern console but there are a few things that niggle:

Loading times seem to take ages, much more noticeable than they used to be.

Framerate isn't as smooth

Slight stutter at certain points that wasn't there before

Is this generally how it is when it comes to emulation on the 360 in your experience? Part of me is suspecting that the drive may be dodgy in my machine as I've just bought it but then if that were the case the game wouldn't play at all?

Cheers

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
27-11-2019 02:28:59 Mobile | Show all posts
OG Xbox emulation on the x360 was never that good being very inconsistent, at least from what I can recall and for what it's worth I've heard it repeated more recently on a Digital Foundry video which was talking about back compatibility.

I'd go out on a limb and guess that the Xbox One could be a lot better for OG Xbox titles now that the current Xbox team have a lot more experience with X360 emulation & porting OG Xbox titles to the X1 as well like Voodoo Vince and Phantom Dust. But MS have said only select OG Xbox titles will get the back compat treatment so whether Outrun 2 gets it is completely up in the air.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Author| 27-11-2019 02:28:59 Mobile | Show all posts
Yeah, thats what I'm discovering after a bit of searching. It appears the BC wrappers are coded to each game and tweaked and they spent a lot of time on some (Ninja Gaiden and Halo come to mind) and others were simply checked to see if it loaded to the bootscreen before being added.

The lack of smoothness is a major bugbear but heres hoping the Xbone handles it properly as it would be a shame for so many amazing legacy games to languish. This video however doesn't fill me with hope as it seems to be more of the same:

Such a simple 2D game and it struggles to hit 60 FPS with wild swings all over the place

The update seems fairly decent but still points out that drawcalls impact the performance.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
27-11-2019 02:29:00 Mobile | Show all posts
Those are a bit old, the X360 emulation is pretty solid at this point on the X1. Heres Tomb Raider Underworld that only just came out for example, more examples on that Youtube page.

It also helps that the X1 has in common with the OG Xbox an x86 hardware platform, the X360 was not being based off PPC hardware.

MS have said that OG Xbox games will get some basic visual upgrades as well so my guess is from the hacking/reverse engineering of OG Xbox ports like Phantom Dust they also realized they could come up with an emulator. But it will only be on a per title basis so cherry picking the more interesting OG Xbox games most likely.

Use magic Report

Author| 27-11-2019 02:29:00 Mobile | Show all posts
That looks much better. Hope springs eternal.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部