View: 456|Reply: 9

Where next for Nintendo?

[Copy link]
27-11-2019 03:10:43 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
Before anyone jumps on my back, this is not a Nintendo-bashing thread. Far from it, I'm 42 now and some of my fondest gaming memories hail from Nintendo systems.

That said, where do they go from here? They've just released the fabulous MK8, but in reality that alone will not turn around the fortunes of the Wii U. But it does prove beyond doubt they're still capable of producing brilliant software, as if proof were needed. They still have success with their handheld systems, and produce good software for them. So, what should be their next step?

As much as I'd love to be proved wrong, I just can't see them ever competing with MS or Sony in the home console market again. Not meaningfully, at least. They just don't have the momentum, and unless they can innovate hugely, I think it's Game Over for them in the home console market.

Nintendo seem to have a knack for producing great handhelds and great software to go with them, so I think a new handheld system is definitely feasible. If they can continue the form they've hit with MK8 with software for their present and potential new handheld, they'll do well. But that alone will unlikely satisfy them. So, a hypothetical question... *whisper it*

Do any of you foresee a time when Nintendo produce AAA games for either PS4 or XB1, or both? I don't think that's such a mad question as it at first seems.

What do you all think Nintendo will/should do in the future?

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
27-11-2019 03:10:44 Mobile | Show all posts
They've already outlined their next steps. By the next gen they'll have figured out how to combine their home console and handheld systems to create a single software platform with different hardware forms, just like Apple / iOS. They won't be rushing to join Sony and Microsoft specs, as they've said it'll be based on Wii U level hardware. Combining their home and handheld market would mean they could still sell 40m units or more quite easily and create their own little self-sustaining niche. They're also diversifying their offerings to include the Quality of Life stuff, whatever that turns out to be.

The tech race the other two are caught in won't be sustainable. Budgets are increasing far quicker than the market size, so unless they bump up the overall price of games, only a handful of games will make a profit. Consoles in general aren't an easy sell any more. Casual gamers and the kid market have migrated to tablets and smartphones, and developers have raced to reduce their prices, so these markets won't be satisfied paying anything more than a few £££ on a game. You're left with the dedicated hardcore crowd, which are demanding better quality and at the same time wanting to spend as little as possible. In any industry that isn't going to work for long, yet alone a hit-driven one like gaming. In short, something has to give. Either developers stick with games with 360-PS3 size budgets, increase game prices, or divide games up into episodes / components (don't want single-player COD, just buy multiplayer; can't finish that 60 hour RPG, just buy the first few chapters).

Nintendo can whether the storm if they create their own bubble, and down-size for a bit. Then they can rise like a phoenix when everyone else has gone.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
27-11-2019 03:10:45 Mobile | Show all posts
The last time Nintendo got truly written off they came out with the DS and Wii, 2 of the highest selling games consoles ever. The only difference this time is that Nintendo still have a crap load of money to sort things out.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
27-11-2019 03:10:46 Mobile | Show all posts
The only thing Nintendo don't compete with, is hardware specs, but they are way ahead with the rest.
Microsoft and Sony race to get the most sales that come from whoever has the best hardware, Nintendo build a system that is designed to do 1 thing only, and that is to play Nintendo games. They profit massively from this strategy.
Nintendo's entire stock at $17 billion, is $4 billion more than Sony's, it shows that they will be in the console market until the very end, in fact I believe they will be the last ones standing.

Use magic Report

I think if they find a way to do the handheld console hybrid they could do well with it. Really they could sort of do it with the Ds and the Wii u with the gamepad being the touchscreen while the TV is the top screen.  The big trouble will be scaling to make it look half decent on a TV, if they could find a way to make 1 game that works well on the Ds and then scales up to 1080p, maybe going the route of Sony with cross buy and cross play but with the ds and Wii u replacements

Use magic Report

Nintendo will do there own thing regardless of what people say or think. I really enjoyed the E3 digital presentation. One thing i think we will see more developers who are going to struggle with budgets for big games who can't get publishing for games going to Nintendo ala Devils Third and Bayonetta 2.

Use magic Report

Nintendo have a FAR healthier bank account than either Sony (even as a whole) or XBOX (Gaming division which was a hairs whisker of being sold off by MS).
They can, in fact, "afford" the next generation to be a complete loss too and still be healthily in the black, so no, I don't see them going 3rd party any time soon.
I think it's far more likely that'll be something the other two do first.
What Nintendo like doing is producing gaming machines first and foremost and leaving the multimedia shenanigans to their rivals. This has and continues to work fairly well for them I'd say.

However, I would also add that to compete, one of the biggest downfalls of the Nintendo ecosystem is NOT the perceived graphical paucity (which in actual fact, I'd disagree with because I play the games, not sit there pixel watching, and when you do this all three consoles end up producing equally enjoyable games).
No, the biggest issue imho is their terrible accounts system with bought content being tied to consoles rather than accounts. NO ONE else does this, from XBX/PS to Netflix/Amazon or even Tesco/Ocado (imagine having to re-buy your goods if you moved house!). If Nintendo maybe got someone in to advise them (because they haven't managed to get their heads around it yet) and implement a valid account system on their future consoles, their fortunes will be even better (the Wii was a runaway success despite having those awful friends codes but would've been even better had they implemented a decent online accounts system).

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
27-11-2019 03:10:47 Mobile | Show all posts
I don't really have an issue with the accounts system..bar maybe, if I bought say, a 3DS version of the game, they could implement a sort of PS style cross buy.
Their perceived lack of graphical prowess, I can go play a game on PC, or another system, think it's stunning, yet still go back to say 3D world, Luigi U, Wonderful 101, Pikmin 3, or Mario Kart, for example, and sill think it's eye candy..
Same goes for their handheld games, comparing say, Luigi's Mansion or other 3DS titles, to some Vita games.
I guess I see Nintendo as graphics and gameplay, consistently, something the other big 2 either get 1 or the other right, in most cases, but Nintendo tend to get it right most times.
As long as they keep doing what they are doing, I'll keep buying their games and systems.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
Not sure about home console but i think they need to release a new "mini wii u handheld" 3ds style handheld with 2 1080p oled screens say 5" like modern phones. Ive yet to see MK8 hands on but what i have seen on the web that could be extremely impressive 3d high res on a handheld.
I enjoyed the 3ds it was quite impressive (resi evil/mario 3d land for two) and we could do with a more powerfull high res 3d version, and with the powerfull mobile tech these days it's quite doable.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
Whatever they are doing they are doing it right.  I'm selling my Xbox One and going to get a Wii-U.  The only problem is, I can't sell the ****ING XBOX!!!  I'm not asking for too much and I'm throwing in all sorts of crap and people STILL aren't buying it...  so lame!

So until I get that capital, I can't buy the Wii-U.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部