View: 526|Reply: 13

New build woes

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
27-11-2019 05:24:24 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
A couple of weeks ago I decided to update my aging i7-4770k to something more modern.
System specs I ended up with :
Ryzen 3700x
AORUS x570 Pro motherboard
32gb corsair vengeance Pro 3200mhz ram
Reused my existing PSU and GTX 1080

All was fine for a few days.  Updated to the latest bios with no issues, ram was in XMP mode, temps and performance were great.  Then one day it decided to not POST and the motherboard had a red Dram light.  So first thoughts was the ram may had been faulty.  Got a replacement, and it made no difference, so ordered a new MB replacement and that fixed the issue.
Fast forward 1 wek, and the exact same issue has occurred again. I have no display, no USB power (keyboard does not light up/not recognised.  All the rgbs on the fans, all the fans (cooler and case fans) work fine. I did a bit more research and found that the ram I was using was not on the QVL list of recommended ram, so yesterday ordered some Hyper X memory that was on the list.  That arrived today, but did not fix the issue.
I am at a loss as to what the problem could be.  It must be very rare to have 2 motherboards fail within 1 week, although that of course could be the issue.  I have requested a replacement cpu, just in case that is the issue.

So I am now picking the collective brains of this forum in the hope of someone reading this has had the same issue, or has any idea what could be the issue.

As a side note, the computer has been working perfectly fine, being on and used for 14 hours a day for both gaming and general work.  The 2nd motherboard was using the basic pre installed bios, just in case the most recent bios was an issue previously.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
27-11-2019 05:24:25 Mobile | Show all posts
What PSU is it?
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 27-11-2019 05:24:26 Mobile | Show all posts
It is a corsair 850w.

Use magic Report

27-11-2019 05:24:27 Mobile | Show all posts
AORUS x570 motherboards have known reliability issues even after a BIOS update. Send it back and go for a ASUS board.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
27-11-2019 05:24:29 Mobile | Show all posts
I'd agree 2 MB in one week... I'd expect the PSU was frying them if they are gone.

Are you absolutely sure the CPU and memory are seated properly?  I've seen systems refuse to post when either isn't seated properly and I've seen both "pop out" with transport and/or kicking.

Is there absolutely any chance your machine is somewhere where something might be effecting the electronics?  Beer/tea/water dripping in?  Don't laugh, mine was the tea.

You're not using water cooling are you?  You don't mention it so I assume not.  If so sure there are no leaks... also had experience of that frying boards.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 27-11-2019 05:24:29 Mobile | Show all posts
No water cooling, no liquid anywhere near the pc unless my cat is peeing into it!
The fact that I changed the motherboard when the issue first happened means I also changed the CPU, it is highly unlikely the CPU was incorrectly inserted both times, but of course there is a chance.  Even if that was a case, why would the pc work perfectly for 8 days each time before suddenly not working? Ram has been taken out multiple rimes, and different ram sticks have been used.

I have "a man" coming over tomorrow to have a look at it, if we both can't determine the issue then I will get a new brand of board and see if that helps.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
27-11-2019 05:24:30 Mobile | Show all posts
I get where you're coming from that it survived a week before dying.  I've always said if computers don't die in a week they'll last years.  8 days would have me fuming too.

Someone has suggested the boards are unreliable... if that's the case it's a bit tedious but hopefully a new board sorts you.

Some of the things I suggested are a bit "wtf" but worth checking there is no chance the machine is being bashed in a way memory/cpu or even a gfx card could "pop out".  I have no idea who you are or if you've done it 1000 times before, but I have inserted memory, for example, a hundreds of times and still have managed to not seat it properly so that it loosened and it needed a good push in to get the 'click'...

I guess you could try disconnecting drives (ssd/hdd/nve/dvd?) to see if that helps and whilst you at it try with nothing bar the monitor plugged in.  You can even try with the gfx taken out and use the onboard gfx if there is any (as long as you haven't disabled it in the bios).  I've had dodgy sata drive cables stop systems booting, hell I've got plenty of machines where I've just left the dvds drives disconnected for the bother they caused!

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 27-11-2019 05:24:31 Mobile | Show all posts
The new ryzens do not have onbard video, and I have no other gfx card to try.
I have a new cpu on order, maybe that could solve the issue?
Failing all that, it will be a new board and I will steer clear of gigabyte boards.  Can anyone suggest a good x570 board? It must have 2 nvme slots.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
27-11-2019 05:24:33 Mobile | Show all posts
Personally I've always been very happy with MSI stuff, but I've only been using Intel recently. I'm sure they'll do an appropriate x570 board.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
27-11-2019 05:24:34 Mobile | Show all posts
That's a strange issue. Had you run the board without doing the bios update?

I got aorus board but didn't bother doing bios update yet. It been running fine with slight exception xmp only liking a2/b2 for working correctly

The only other issue seems to be it's not a fan of booting with monitor switched off. It's an exception I do not that way but it's weird. Almost like it's checking there is a display output before booting.

Use magic Report

12Next
Back New
You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部