Author: museumsteve

Wreckfest

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
27-11-2019 05:34:15 Mobile | Show all posts
Try triple buffering on, combined with v sync.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
27-11-2019 05:34:15 Mobile | Show all posts
Seb, turn off the vsync ingame and then set it to 'On' in your nVidia control panel, do not use adaptive vsync, that should hopefully the issues you're having.

Vsync can also sync to every other frame if the frame rate drops low enough i.e. sub 30fps (this could occur even whilst the game is loading) hence your fps then being locked in at 30fps.  Adaptive vsync (after much testing now across a ton of titles using SLI) is very hit and miss for me, as I too still get tearing with that enabled.  The only sure fire way I find to have vsync work correctly is to disable it within the game and set up a specific profile in the CP for the game I'm playing and setting it to 'On'.

Use magic Report

27-11-2019 05:34:16 Mobile | Show all posts
Thank you very much Dean, I'll set that up later.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
27-11-2019 05:34:17 Mobile | Show all posts
Anyone have much joy using a ps3 pad with this (or any) game?

Use magic Report

27-11-2019 05:34:18 Mobile | Show all posts
I'm not the only one getting the same lowish framerate, I don't see how some people are getting a solid 60fps when people on forums with 780's are also saying they get a sustained 48fps at the start with 24 cars, baring in mind the gravel track is the most demanding.

I'm surprised how many people don't know how adaptive vsync works and think it's broken when there is tearing as that is how it works. It turns vsync on when you are at 60 fps and off if below, so instead of getting stutter from it dropping down to 30fps it will only drop to say 55fps without stutter but you will get tearing instead.

So obviously it's variability 99% of the time is down to whether you can hold a solid 60fps or not in said game, there are a few exceptions to this where it either doesn't work at all or it causes the framerate to be more variable and tear anyway. I basically only use it in games where vsync is broken like BL2 which never dips below 80fps maxed but turning on in-game vsync caused a lot of drops to 30fps and adaptive vsync made it perfectly smooth at 60fps.

Your 3 options to try are in-game vsync, adaptive vsync and vsync   triple buffering (use d3doverider for games where it doesn't work in the NVCP) of which one will always work and give you a smooth framerate without tearing.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
27-11-2019 05:34:18 Mobile | Show all posts
Okay, I'll put it more simply then, I don't want to see tearing of any kind and it's variability of 99%, is that a number you've plucked from the air?  I have SLI titans, I get 60 fps in practically every game yet still see constant tearing with adaptive sync so given my experience using it,  I would say there is an issue.  Whether this issue is down to me running in SLI, possibly, but it is still an issue.   

Seb was experiencing tearing, most probably when frames went sub 60 so I imagine he wants to eliminate this entirely, and like I already stated the ingame vsync doesn't recover if the framerate goes to 30fps, it stays synced at that level, however the vsync option within NVidia's CP does recover.

Use magic Report

27-11-2019 05:34:19 Mobile | Show all posts
I used 99% to indicate that it's tearing not because it's broken but because the framerate has dropped below 60fps as people think it stops all tearing when that's not what it's purpose is.

I wasn't knocking you, just saying that most of the time it works exactly how it's meant to as it's mainly to stop vsync stutter when you drop below 60fps which IMO is much worse going 60 - 30fps than tearing, though I just use vsync   triple buffering as I don't like either. Have you checked the framerate when it's tearing as it doesn't work at all in some games so you are getting the same as vsync off like in Metro 2033?

I've spent hours playing around with it in a lot of games so I was just passing on what I've learnt but obviously different setups are going to perform differently and we are trying different games so we are probably both right, so I apologise for sounding like I was shooting you down.

In-game vsync for me behaves exactly the same as NVCP and fluctuates between 30-60fps depending on how many cars/debris is flying around so both are unplayable for me.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
27-11-2019 05:34:19 Mobile | Show all posts
No worries, I am the same and use vsync and triple buffering as I hate tearing of any kind, being in the fortunate position of games rarely ever going sub 60 is a bonus, but when they do it is only ever to something like the high 50's, plus running at 1440p tearing can be quite noticeable.

Like yourself I've tested a lot of games and found that the above solution is the best fit for me across most titles although I do have a few different setups for certain games as some suffer more than others, yet I've found that only a handful of games offer a decent working ingame vsync option.  As you mentioned, games like Borderlands 2 can suffer very badly especially with high levels of physx enabled, so possibly gsync could be the best way forward with titles like that.  For the games I have tested adaptive vsync with, they all still suffered tearing frames (and this was on games that I know generally run over 100fps), whether it wasn't working for that game, it is a possibility, but these are all fairly new titles and after just doing a quick test in Batman: Arkham Origins, the frame rate with AS enabled doesn't quite hit 60fps, causing tearing, without vsync, it's over 100fps, so something very odd is going on there.

With regards to NCG, do you not find that the ingame vsync option keeps the game locked at 30fps if your framerate drops to that, as it just wouldn't recover from 30fps for me.  Hopefully all those issues will be resolved though when they get SLI enabled, however the bizarre issue with NCG is that frames can drop yet GPU and CPU usage are never maxed out, unless of course they are using physx.

Use magic Report

27-11-2019 05:34:20 Mobile | Show all posts
A:O for me works terribly with standard vsync, there's a constant stutter but is perfectly smooth with adaptive .

No the in-game vsync at the start on the gravel track, starts at 30fps and then as the camera flies by all the cars it jumps up to 60fps, in the race it starts at 30fps and then after a few cars go out of view it jumps up and down between 30 and 60 depending on what's happening.

I would just lock it to 30fps but it looks like constant slowdown at such a low framerate, my eyes are too accustomed to 60 now .

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
27-11-2019 05:34:21 Mobile | Show all posts
Bizarre how we are experiencing different effects across various vsync options, and agreed, I've been spoilt for too long with 60fps whereby any drop below it feels very jarring.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部