View: 626|Reply: 20

New Linux Phones on their way

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
27-11-2019 22:20:11 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
As per title some may be interested in that two new phones built with Linux distros are soon to be released. Librem 5 and Pine phones. Yes, android built on Linux but these new phones are based on Linux distros, such as KDE Neon and act the same as the desktop versions. First phones that have privacy at the heart, no google/facebook/IoS connections and will be supported for as long as Linux remains. Personally, I cant wait to see the reviews on these

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
27-11-2019 22:20:13 Mobile | Show all posts
Tmpting, due to the concept, privacy and development ideas,
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        Librem 5 – Purism                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        shop.puri.sm                                                                                But the hardware lone (what really drives consumer understanding about value) is x5 fold at least too expensive as in package provided

Development costs should stop rocketing and the phone (package) could be considered as reasonable alternative, if price half's or less, but I highly doubt they wouldn't get shut-down by competitors and Big Brother
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 27-11-2019 22:20:14 Mobile | Show all posts
They don't intend to compete with Android/Apple, it is intended to give people an alternative privacy based option. The marketing will be driven that way.

The Pine phone is going to sell at around $150, lesser spec but a good price point.

Hardware is entirely designed for running Linux, which is very light weight.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 27-11-2019 22:20:15 Mobile | Show all posts
I'm going to wait until next year and see how it goes and may look at getting a Pine. Still on Windows Mobile here but have to consider a new OS phone at sometime and it ain't going to be an Android. These may fit the bill so long as I can text, call and browse emails/www I'm happy. These phones will run any open source software/widgets that run on the Linux platform. I believe the Linux community are able to also sand box Android apps to but that may defeat the object of keeping away from Android. The platform also does not 'dial home', anywhere so id expect battery life to be good. Android on average a year leaks over 1.5GB of data in standby, Linux 0kb!

Use magic Report

27-11-2019 22:20:16 Mobile | Show all posts
I dont get the point of these phones, nor pricepoint. If I want a phone that doesn't track me I'll use a non gps non smart phone. Job done.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 27-11-2019 22:20:17 Mobile | Show all posts
Well true but we are talking about smart phones and smart phones that don't track out of the box.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 27-11-2019 22:20:18 Mobile | Show all posts
Actually thinking about it, if a phone has any sort of internet connection then you can be tracked or privacy compromised

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
27-11-2019 22:20:19 Mobile | Show all posts
If one is a victim ("suspect"), even a dumbphones are tracked for location and all conversations are monitored by networks.

Cleaning android, could give bit more of a privacy and as for the hardware
This could/should make sense to start Good value hardware
                                                                                                                                                                                                        Xone Phone ® | Official Website                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        x-phone.store

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
27-11-2019 22:20:21 Mobile | Show all posts
And given how pervasive the reach of FB and Google are how realistic is it to remain private

I was reading on the comments section of ars technica where someone showed all the FB related tracking cookies and what have you that were running, despite not having the FB app installed

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 27-11-2019 22:20:22 Mobile | Show all posts
Yes both are invasive. There is a way to prevent them though, install Firefox, get the add-ons, Ublock Origin, Cookie Autodelete, decentraleyes, configure them and configure FF under about:config. Use a dummy email purely for social media using mailfence/protonmail and go from there. They won't be tracking the actual you then. Hell I'm seriously considering doing a sticky on the subject. Oh and do not use Chrome.

Use magic Report

123Next
Back New
You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部