Advice on active speakers/setup to pair with turntable

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
28-11-2019 00:55:59 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
Hi,

Got a good deal on a Rega Planar 1 Plus (with the built-in phono stage) to replace the cheap £50 turntable I've had for a while. I'm looking at either active speakers or an amp & passive speakers to my setup. Read a lot on here over the last few days and around the web on various options but getting a bit confused by it all.

Very much considering an active speakers setup, as space is at a bit of a premium (see picture below) and it might land better with the other half, but an extra stage setup would be doable with a bit of work I would guess. Looking at a top end budget of about £500, which may include stands for the speakers based on space?

Popped into Richer Sounds asking re: active speakers and possible options and the chap was desperate to sell me a Cambridge Audio CXA80 or 60 and a pair of Dalis, which seem like great kit but not really what I was asking for, nor was it quite in my planned budget! Didn't really demystify much for me unfortunately!

I want the sound quality and everything to be reasonable as I listen to it so much (and did with my crappy turntable and £20 laptop speakers), but I'm obviously not an audiophile and don't entirely know what I'm doing so I'm not expecting the world in terms of quality, just a bit of a mix between practicality and being decent sound.

Hope that makes sense and thanks in advance.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
28-11-2019 00:56:00 Mobile | Show all posts
Do you want the speakers to sit either side of the unit?

It looks like there are stairs to the right?

Do you have a wider angle photo?
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 28-11-2019 00:56:01 Mobile | Show all posts
Hi Paul - I was thinking either side of the unit yeah. Do you think it might be a bit tight? Hopefully the pic below shows the space a bit better with the stairs on the right.

Thanks!

!                                                                       

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
28-11-2019 00:56:02 Mobile | Show all posts
I’m trying desperately hard here... but I can’t really see how that can be done without someone constantly walking into the right hand speaker?

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 28-11-2019 00:56:02 Mobile | Show all posts
I think there's maybe a bit more width than you think but you might be right... could also be the option for a shelf or racking or something? Don't have much more room in the living room !

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
28-11-2019 00:56:02 Mobile | Show all posts
The best I can think of for your budget is a pair of these, but only if the lady isn’t too unhappy about it. And that seems unlikely.

One either side of the fireplace.

Dali Zensor 5AX Ex Display Bluetooth Wireless Loudspeakers  | eBay                                                                                                        For sale new Dali Zensor 5 AX active bluetooth stereo floorstanding loudspeakers. Multiple award winners. Opened box. Excelent Dali sound quality with very well integrated amplifier and bluetooth connection.                                                                                                                                                                                                        www.ebay.co.uk

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 28-11-2019 00:56:03 Mobile | Show all posts
I reckon that might actually be doable, or a similar size anyway. I think it might go down okay, concern was more about having an alternative wider unit to host an amp and then also speakers. Bluetooth connectivity would also go down well...

Either side of the fireplace would actually work fit well too, I think! Would just have to work out the wiring.

Thanks a lot for your help. Are there any other similar floorstanding speakers you'd recommend?

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
28-11-2019 00:56:03 Mobile | Show all posts
...then there are these... smaller and in a more wife friendly colour perhaps?

Dali Zensor 1 AX Bookshelf Speakers - White  | eBay                                                                                                        The build-in amplifier is integrated in the left speaker, while the right speaker is a passive ZENSOR 1 speaker. WOOD FIBRE CONESThis mix paper pulp and wood fibre makes the cones stiff and light which ensures that every micro detail in the signal is reproduced unfiltered.Imagine a world where...                                                                                                                                                                                                        www.ebay.co.uk

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
28-11-2019 00:56:03 Mobile | Show all posts
I was trying to get the powered speakers in there to keep the box count down and cables to a minimum.

As far as I’m aware there are no floor standing active or powered floorstanders at anywhere near your budget other than the Dalis.

There are any number of stand mount actives though.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 28-11-2019 00:56:03 Mobile | Show all posts
The Zensor AX1s look really good. And could pick up a stand for them/ put them on a shelf for similar effect. Definitely think white will be better! Looks like the 5AX is available in white but at a more significant cost.

Thanks for these suggestions as I think pointing me in a bit more of the right direction!

Use magic Report

12Next
Back New
You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部