AT-LP5 Recomendations

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
28-11-2019 01:00:07 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
Hi all,

I just bought myself an AT-LP5, having decided to get into vinyl, and must confess to being blown away by how good it is!

Naturally, I now want to find new and exciting ways to spend my money, and would like to as about getting the best out of this record player-

I am at the moment using some Edifier Speakers and the inbuilt pre-amp, and both are working fine, but long term, it might be nice to go for an upgrade. Can any of you recommend which pre-amp and speakers would be considered an upgrade?

Also, is it worth considering a cartridge upgrade? The AT-VM95 series seem to be one option - would I notice enough of a difference upgrading to a Nude/Microlinear/Shibata to make it worth the expense (and I am not entirely sure what the differences between those three are)?

The VM540ML seems well rated, but I wonder if at that point I would be spending too much for this level of turntable.

Also, is it safe to assume that any AT cart will fit onto this turntable without problems?

Thanks for you help,

A

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
28-11-2019 01:00:08 Mobile | Show all posts
I have the ML and it seems to be more detailed also as a bonus it has more life than the other at 1000hrs. Also note if you have the VM95e at the moment it is the same body as the others so all you need is the stylus.

As for preamp/speakers, do you have a budget.

As the AT-LP5 has a line out then I would look at the following -

SMPro M-Patch passive preamp - 2 input and 2 output

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SM-Pro-M-Patch-2-Passive-Stereo-Controller-Switch-Box/113986280501?hash=item1a8a1c9c35:g:pgUAAOSwvfRd2q4K
And a speaker with a 6-7” woofer, Dynaudio, Adam, Focal and Mackie are all pretty good.

Dynaudio BM5A MK3 Studio Active Monitors Pair  | eBay                                                                                                        Condition is Used. Treble is also fab. Plus they’re from Denmark so they’re very posh. Take them you will love them.                                                                                                                                                                                                        www.ebay.co.uk                                                                               
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                Adam A7x  Monitors  | eBay                                                                                                        Condition is Used. 2x Adam a7 x po we r le ad s. USBt o fi re wa ll c ab le.                                                                                                                                                                                                        www.ebay.co.uk                                                                               
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                Focal Shape 65 Active Studio Monitors (Pair)  | eBay                                                                                                        The only reason I am parting way with these is because I have a few pairs of monitors and so have no need for them currently. These are an amazing pair of studio monitors and the clarity is second to none.                                                                                                                                                                                                        www.ebay.co.uk
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 28-11-2019 01:00:09 Mobile | Show all posts
I am not sure on the budget yet, this is something I am looking at over the next few months, but don't mind paying a touch more for speakers/ pre amp and so on, as they will presumabley be good for the long run if/when I get a better turntable, though ideally I don't want to be going too overboard - ie. not spending much more than £250 on each piece.

Also, as I am new to this, I am not sure the best way to go - would a amp plus non active speakers be a good first step (seeing as the LP5 already has a pre-amp, I assume this would work?). And would this be the best way of getting the most out of the turntable, or would a pre-amp alone with my Edifiers make a noticable difference?

For that matter, would getting an amp and speakers be any different from good active speakers?

As for the cartridge, I have the AT95ex, so alas won't beable to do the easy switcheroonie that the WM series seems to allow.

Thanks for the help!

A

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
28-11-2019 01:00:10 Mobile | Show all posts
Worth noting that although the LP5 has a preamp built in this only amplifies and equilises the cartridge output up to a set sensible level that can be used with a line level input. You still need a way of controlling the volume and if you need to connecting other sources(CD, streamer etc) which is where a preamp comes in.

I ami n the "less is more" camp which is why I tend to use passive preamps (basically just a variable resistor) between the source and the amp/speakers.

So, I think your choices are, based on line level sources only (e.g. LP5 but if you change this then you may need a separate phono preamp or a built in phono connection in the preamp section (which could be inside an integrated amp)) -

1) Active speakers with line inout and volume control built in (like your edifiers but better)
2) Passive preamp and active speakers
3) Active preamp and active speakers
4) Preamp (active or passive) plus power amp and passive speakers
5) Integrated amp and passive speakers

the comes the decision ob budget and new vs second hand.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 28-11-2019 01:00:11 Mobile | Show all posts
Thanks again, I think it is starting to make sense now, and I think I see where I am going (trying to slowly get from '1' on your list to '4').

At the risk of becoming a pest, I have been doing some research - the Cambridge Audio equipment seems very well regarded, and within an achievable price point, so may I ask:

Would the Cambridge Audio Duo MM/MC pre-amp be a good choice, for now and the long term?
After that, would a Cambridge AXA25 be a good amp to combine with this set up (plus speakers, which at present I don't know anything about!)?

I think the point with these would be, would they improve my current set up in a way that would justify the price, whilst also being ready to accept an upgraded turntable where I to get one (I suppose I am asking if they are  'future proof')?

Finally - would I get more sound quality improvement starting with the speakers and amp first, and then a pre-amp, or the other way around?

Thanks again, and apologies for the dumb questions!

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
28-11-2019 01:00:11 Mobile | Show all posts
You don't currently need the CA Duo as you have a phono preamp built into the LP5. You would only need one of these if the "new" upgrade turntable does not have a phono stage built in.

For reference, the use of "Preamp" is fairly loose but in your case has three basic versions that applyto your situation -

1) Phono preamp -this takes the very small voltage (c. 2mV) from the cartridge, amplifies it up to (c. 1.0V) and also applies an equilisation that reverses a filter which is built into the record manufacture process. This can be stand alone, built into a traditional preamp (see below) or into an integrated amp.
2) traditional (active) preamp - typically a stand alone box that switches between inputs (line level like CD/Tuner/Cassette/aux or a Turntable), can include a record output (for casettee/minidisc etc.), controls volume and often has balance, treble, bass or loudness controls. All of thesefunctions are also included in an integrated amp where the preamp functions are in the same box as the power amp.
3) A passive preamp again is typically a separate box but is usually limited to volume and source selection. this does not need power to work is basically a box of switches and a variable resistor or attenuator.

As per many other threads on here a sytem can be split into boxes with each box, as a ruleof thumb not an absolute rule, havign the same mount of £ spent on it to get a reasonably balanced system. Obviously this can be biased a littel and runout or exdemo stockcan make the most of the cash available, and second hand can also help greatly. i.e.

Speaker 2x£
Amp 1x£
Turntable 1x£

So in your current system turntable £ = £250. However to get a significant jump in turntable performance I would suggest you need to spend £500  and therefore if you are future proofing a passive system then this may need to be born in mind.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 28-11-2019 01:00:13 Mobile | Show all posts
Thanks again, I think it is a bit clearer now, and perhaps future proofing might not be so worth it at this point as it would go wildly over my budget!

Thanks for your help!

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部