View: 379|Reply: 3

Scratchy Pot and Weak Left Channel

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
28-11-2019 01:00:14 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
I post this as something of an FYI. When ever there are problems with an Amp, my initial recommendations are always the same -

- Absolutely verify the speakers wiring. Make sure that in all cases, the Amp(RED ) goes to the Speaker(RED ). Make sure the connections are clean and tight.
- Check all the Wiring and Connections to make sure they are making contact.
- With no sound playing, rotate the Knobs and toggle the Switches. Listen for a scratchy static sound.

This happened to me just the other day. My primary computer Hard Drive crapped out, and I'm using an old XP Machine as a get-by. Plus it is connected to an amp (Onkyo TX-8011, 50w/ch) that has been sitting on a shelf for a couple of years. Plus some old speakers I had laying around.

Connected everything and the Left Channel was very weak. So I started checking. Verified the Amp channels were functional, though, while working by rotating the Balance Control, one channel was very weak. Check input connections to make sure they were clean and tight. Checked Speaker Wires. Check everything I could think of.

Then I simply rotated the Volume Dial (analog with stops). It sounded very scratchy from having be in the same position unused for a long time. Rotated the knob vigorously over the scratch area, and the Left Channel came back. The Amp/Receiver has been working fine ever since.

Sometimes both the problem and the solution are simple, you just have to work through the options until you discover it.

I post this to remind people to go through these simply steps before you conclude that there is a real problem requiring Professional Intervention. In my case, a few rotation of the Volume Dial and everything was back to normal.

Sometime the solution really is very easy.

For what it is worth.

Steve/bluewizard

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
28-11-2019 01:00:16 Mobile | Show all posts
I put some wd40 on a £10 nad 3020i amp with no right channel after about 2 days both play very well the last 2 weeks been using this amp its a good sound.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

28-11-2019 01:00:17 Mobile | Show all posts
I still think you need to clean your pots, or the scratching will return...

Very easy to do, I use this:-

https://uk.farnell.com/servisol/super-servisol-10/cleaner-switch-contact-200ml/dp/278786                       
And please don't use WD40!

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
28-11-2019 01:00:18 Mobile | Show all posts
if my nad goes again I will use the other cleaner.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部