View: 1189|Reply: 31

Audiolab 6000CDT

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
28-11-2019 01:00:31 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
Hi, I needed to replace my old CD player and a dealer recommended the new Audiolab 6000CDT which I bought. I have now had the unit replaced twice in three weeks as they appear to have a buffering problem. The latest unit (#3), which the dealer ordered in as a special order (new batch?), is also showing the same fault, although less so as the CD skips a micro-second only 2 or 3 times each CD but it's still annoying. Anyone else had experience with the Audiolab 6000CDT or with Audiolab's CD player/transport range as I like the overall sound so would rather not change it. I know the DAC in my amp is working fine as I've tested it by substitution.
Also has anyone been able to compare an Audiolab against a Cyrus CDT as I may need to move to the Cyrus if the Audiolab cannot be sorted. Is the Cyrus worth the extra £££s?
Any other alternative CD units would be welcome too.
I am running a Leema Pulse 3 amp with on-board DAC, Dynaudio Emit M20 speakers and a Pro-ject Debut 3 turntable with Stylus 20 cartridge.
Cheers
Ade

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 28-11-2019 01:00:33 Mobile | Show all posts
Rip all your CD's into a cheap laptop - connect the USB to your excellent amp/DAC and forever do away with any CD player.
Your amp/DAC has galvanic isolated USB input of the highest quality.
Invest in a copy of jRiver media player (software) and control it remotely using your phone or tablet.
The days of rotating music media (CD - DVD - LP) are over!
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

28-11-2019 01:00:34 Mobile | Show all posts
Yeah, thought about doing that but I do enjoy browsing through physical CDs looking for something I haven't played in a while. Also, I'm sure I can hear a sound difference even though their both the same digital signal (I assume)

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
28-11-2019 01:00:36 Mobile | Show all posts
Yes there is sometimes - the ripped version can be better!
The reason?
when using something like Exact Audio Copy to rip the CD - the computer can read the CD at a speed that it is comfortable with to get an exact digit for digit rip - it does not have to do this in real time, can re-read any section if it needs to and then compare the rip to databases available on the net.
Also when it is playing back, it can read the data very fast from the hard drive, pump it into a large buffer in the RAM - the USB input of your DAC can then pull the DATA in as it needs to, re-clock it and send it to the DAC section.
This kind of precision is very hard to achieve in real time using a rotating, perhaps dirty CD by a transport.
Read the first paragraph from this.
CP-800 - Classé Audio
This is from a high-end manufacturer and to the point.

Use magic Report

28-11-2019 01:00:37 Mobile | Show all posts
The guy wants a CD player. Lots of people use CD players. Get over it.
Not everyone has a computer or laptop in their listening room. Many people have experienced issues with streamers…. (like me).

I have the Cyrus CDt and it hasn't caused a single problem in over 2 years' use, so very happy with that. Last week I heard the Audiolab CDT/6000A combo at Richer and it sounded  very good, but I didn't hear any issues of the sort you describe. Shame as I was thinking of getting one (second system). Will investigate further - maybe loan one from Richer.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
28-11-2019 01:00:38 Mobile | Show all posts
I'm with you on this. Love looking through and playing the ever growing CD and SACD collection. There are some really good CDPs available. I would recommend the Marantz CD6006 as the minimum entry point.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Marantz-CD-6006-Player-Silver/dp/B0764FWYC4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1542108037&sr=8-2&keywords=marantz cd6006

If you have room for a top loader then the Rega Apollo R has had some very good reviews and also available from a home demonstration with AudioT.
Rega Apollo R CD Player 2017 | Rega | Audio T
Audio T Hi-Fi Home-Loan-Service | Try Hi-Fi in The Comfort of Your Home

I have the excellent Marantz SA8005 and a growing collection of SACDs and it is stunning. Now practically sold out there is one left here, open box. I recently auditioned a Lehmann Linear headphone amp that was being fed by the Cyrus player and I didn't think it as good as the Marantz.
MARANTZ SA8005 SL SACD PLAYER (Opened box) - Superfi

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
28-11-2019 01:00:40 Mobile | Show all posts
Fair enough -
but I shall never go back to CD's - I might bring back my LP's to life. they were and still are the closest to analogue sound I can get at home, and they are fun!
They had large covers, the artwork was part of the creativity of the musicians etc. and there was/is a ritual in taking care of them and playing them (good old days).
CD's (to me) were just a means to an end, and now that I have found easier and more functional means to my end, it is over.
I never, ever had any issues with streaming, connection or anything.
has worked perfectly for years.
I can see artwork, trivia info about the album and the musicians, bitrates, sampling frequency blah blah, from my tablet or phone (remote software loaded).
Don't even get started on personalized playlists and automatic equalization per track .......
But then again - everyone to their own.
I respect that .

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 28-11-2019 01:00:41 Mobile | Show all posts
Good to hear someone hasn't had any problems! I like most forms of music media, even some mp3s, but CDs are easy and prevalent, and great for long-form listening, e.g. classical. I also have 1,000 LPs and two Rega turntables!
Anyway, the Audiolab transport did sound good so I'm surprised it has issues.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
28-11-2019 01:00:42 Mobile | Show all posts
I've used the 6000CDT since it was launched and it's played any CD I've thrown at it. IAG haven't had any faulty units returned, where did you purchase it from?

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 28-11-2019 01:00:43 Mobile | Show all posts
I've just purchased the Audiolab 6000CDT transport and the 6000A amplifier. It's sounding great with my old Heybrook HB1 speakers. But I have noticed the occasional short dropout in sound when playing a CD. I believe this is related to RF interference on the digital coax interconnect cable. When my boiler switches on or off, or sometimes when a car passes by, the sound gets briefly interrupted. I switched to an optical cable and there's no problem.
Which cable are you using to connect the CD to your amp?
I'm trying some KabelDirekt interconnects from Amazon currently, which seemed good value, but more expensive cables may have better shielding.

Use magic Report

1234Next
Back New
You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部