123Next
Back New
Author: Demat

Marantz PM6006 UK - buzzing on digital inputs solved?

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
28-11-2019 01:01:53 Mobile | Show all posts
Just set up my new PM6006 non UK. It has noise on both digital inputs, easy to hear when volume is above 30-40%.

Tested with : CD player, chromecast audio and a PC. same issues.

Previous denon amp had zero noise on digital inputs.

Going to call the dealer tomorow. To be honest i think this model is bugged, so many with the same noise problem, no wonder alot will never notice this type of problem, its only at turned up volume, easy to miss. Easy to test, just hook up any digital source to the optical ports, turn volume up to 40-50%, and you will har buzzing and humming when no sound is being played.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 28-11-2019 01:01:53 Mobile | Show all posts
Hi Amp99, I’m sorry you have found the same issue with a non-UK version of this amp. It seems that the problem is really widespread, for anyone who bothers to test it (I imagine that there are a lot of people who either listen at relatively low volume so they never notice the issue, or they’re playing analogue sources through it).

That said, here in the U.K. there are at least two major dealers who constantly give this amp awards and bundle it with matching CD players and decent speakers, with ‘award winner’ logos all over it (they’re also continually discounting them, so it makes me wonder if they’re simply box-shifters, jettisoning their stock...). It also makes me wonder how/why magazines are continually giving this amp awards if it has this issue - surely this goes beyond the ‘bad batch’ idea, as you can find people reporting this issue going back a few years. BTW: I did actually email my local branch of one of these retailers to enquire about arranging a demo, and to ask if they’d had any returns of this model for the noise over digital input fault.. I was actually hoping for a ‘there was a problem with early batches of the amp, but Marantz addressed the issue’ type response - but they never even got back to me. Makes me wonder if they know this is an issue, but are simply shifting as many boxes as possible to get rid of stock. Call me cynical

But again, sorry you found this out first-hand - with a non U.K. edition as well. Good luck getting it returned for a refund. If you get a replacement PM6006 that works or any other info  please let us know.

Cheers,
Chris

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
28-11-2019 01:01:53 Mobile | Show all posts
I have the PM6006UKE and CD6006UKE, and there is absolutely no noise from the digital inputs at all.  I connect the amp and CD using the analogue inputs (since both have the same DAC internally), and use the two optical inputs for TV sound and streaming from an Apple Airport Express.  All works flawlessly with completely silent background.

(Speakers are Dali Oberon 5).

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 28-11-2019 01:01:54 Mobile | Show all posts
Hi Cs2008,

Do you mind me asking how long ago you bought the amp? (And where from?).
I’m really hoping this buzzing issue is something that was solved a while ago, and that all recent versions in the UK are good.

Cheers,
Chris

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
28-11-2019 01:01:54 Mobile | Show all posts
The whole system was purchased from Richer Sounds just over a month ago.  The CD player did actually have a fault, in that the drawer wouldn't open.  However, RS replaced it immediately without any difficulty, and the replacement is fine.  My advice would be to buy from them, as they always offer excellent customer service, and always replace faulty items without question.

My amp certainly doesn't exhibit any buzzing at all.  When switched to the digital inputs, and with the volume up full, I can't actually hear anything at all, even with my ear right up against a speaker.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
Thanks CS, I was looking at going to a Richer Sounds. Thanks again for the info - sounds like you’re pretty happy with it, I’ll look into those Dali’s as well

Cheers,
Chris

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
28-11-2019 01:01:54 Mobile | Show all posts
Yes really pleased with the sound.  Works really well with vinyl too.  I have an original Technics SL1210 Mk.2 with Denon DL-110 and it sounds superb.

When I auditioned the system, I also heard the Cambridge Audio CXA-60 amp, and that also sounded good (but no better), but it had no phono stage.  I also tried the Monitor Audio Silver 200 speakers, but they sounded excessively bright, to the point of harshness.  The Dalis just seemed to get everything right:  remarkably deep and tight bass, very natural midrange and clean detailed treble, all in a very compact package.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
Thanks CS - good to know, I was considering the CXA60 as well as the closest budget-wise to the Marantz, but with the Monitor Bronze 2 speakers that Richer Sounds offer with the Marantz PM6006 package. After what you wrote I will definitely look at the floor standing Dali speakers as well. I’m looking at vinyl mainly as well, and your desk is probably the one I’d choose if the budget would allow it, but I’m quite interested in the latest Fluance decks (if only there was an authorised UK dealer..).

Cheers
Chris

Use magic Report

28-11-2019 01:01:55 Mobile | Show all posts
I have the Marantz PM6005 and have both Monitor Audio Bronze 2's linked up as well as KEF R300 speakers. The Bronze 2's are fantastic speakers but i always felt there was a little something missing...that is until i got the Kef R300's and they certainly bring a smile to my face every time i play music.

I know your worried about some of the issues but thats why the warranty is there. Go into Richer Sounds and try a few different setups and let us know how you get on.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
28-11-2019 01:01:55 Mobile | Show all posts
Um... if you bring that Amp back to Richer's, have them connect it up in the store and see if you can duplicate the problem. There could be something unique to your circumstances that is causing the problem.

Not sure what that would be, but as others are saying, they are not having the problem with the same amp.

Steve/bluewizard

Use magic Report

123Next
Back New
You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部