Author: caoleuk

Vinyl Bargain or Rip off?

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
28-11-2019 01:23:59 Mobile | Show all posts
I guy I use to work with had reel to reel and some serious kit to back it up, was well into hifi, that would have been back in 1972. It was a long long time until I heard anything better than that. Big into The Beatles on vinyl with huge speakers. Thankfully he lived on his own in a detached bungalow.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

28-11-2019 01:23:59 Mobile | Show all posts
Same here, found these in my wardrobe! Some must be from the 80's...

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
28-11-2019 01:24:00 Mobile | Show all posts
I think if I owned a Revox, it would be on display rather than hidden away!

I have nothing so exotic.  I do have a couple of Sony TC377's - they were perfectly good 'budget' decks in their day and as was typical of Sony from that period, very well put together.

I had a Philips N4416 reel-to-reel which partially conked out when the solenoid to engage 'play' failed to function.  I couldn't find anyone who could repair it (at the time) and bought the Sony as it had the same tape head setup as the Philips, so could play the tapes already recorded on the Philips.  The Philips looked a lot more modern and sophisticated, but the Sony was a far better engineered machine - it's still going!

I also have an ancient (1950's? era) Philips (valve) portable tape recorder - did I mention that I was a hoarder?

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
Funny you mentioned the Sony TC377.  I have previous with that model also. In the mid 1970s I was doing research and we wanted equipment to record the arrival tines of Cosmic Ray events. The previous equipment used punched paper tape. So I had the idea of recording as blips on tape. ..the other stereo channel  recording the Rugby Time Code
Anyway with these recorders and by modifying the capstan speed .. it was electronically adjusted ,we could slow them down to record a full days data in real time. That was actualy a bonus as we had expected to have to machine down the spindle . I recall opening one up to adjust it and was astonished to see a monkey nut husk fall out!. .It presumably had been there since the factory.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
This is on Radio 4 Extra at the moment.

BBC Radio 4 Extra - Hardware, Software, Anywhere                                                                                                        Nick Baker collects some programmes about how technology has changed our physical world.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                www.bbc.co.uk                                                                               
I think there's much to interest many of the contributers to this thread. It's covering virtual reality at the moment but they have covered vinyl, cassette and CD. It should be on iPlayer before too long.

Bri

Use magic Report

Back New
You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部