View: 418|Reply: 6

All amps in the 70's had stereo/mono button.

[Copy link]
28-11-2019 01:25:57 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
Hi, I am Northern Soul collector of original USA 45's. I am still using a 1970's Akai Amp with a Stereo/Mono button because these records do sound better played in Mono. I have looked for years but I can not find an amp with this feature now! In the 70's you couldn't buy one without this feature.
Does anyone know if there is a new amp that has a Stereo/Mono button?

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
28-11-2019 01:25:58 Mobile | Show all posts
How many of these  - $$$$$$$$££££££££¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥ - do you have to spend?

There are amps that have this features, but they are EXPENSIVE. (Luxman)

If this is a necessary feature, then I would suggest looking for older vintage amps in good condition.

steve/bluewizard
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
28-11-2019 01:26:00 Mobile | Show all posts
You can achieve the exact same effect, by removing a single plug from the speaker for  close to zero. Cents.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
Could this be the answer?

Use magic Report

I have a McIntosh MA5300 and that can be switched between stereo and mono.

Use magic Report

Author| 28-11-2019 01:26:00 Mobile | Show all posts
Yes that would work.
The switch is good so I could play in Mono or Stereo depending on which records I am playing.
I can see a converter for sale, a Monacor SMC- 1 but it doesn't have a switch to go between mono and stereo. I don't want to be pulling cables in and out when using it!

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
28-11-2019 01:26:01 Mobile | Show all posts
There are lots of "Passive monitor controllers" available and a few appear to have a mono button/switch such as these:

Muslady Passive Monitor Controller with XLR 3.5mm Inputs Outputs Supports Attenuation Control Mute Function: Amazon.co.uk: Musical Instruments                                                                                                        Buy Muslady Passive Monitor Controller with XLR 3.5mm Inputs Outputs Supports Attenuation Control Mute Function. Free delivery and returns on eligible orders.                                                                                                                                                                                                        www.amazon.co.uk                                                                               
                                                                                                                                                                                                        Behringer MONITOR1 Premium Passive Stereo Monitor and Volume Controller: Amazon.co.uk: Musical Instruments                                                                                                        Free delivery and returns on eligible orders of £20 or more. Buy Behringer MONITOR1 Premium Passive Stereo Monitor and Volume Controller at Amazon UK.                                                                                                                                                                                                        www.amazon.co.uk                                                                               
                                                                                                                                                                                                        SubZero MC2 Passive Studio Monitor Controller: Amazon.co.uk: Musical Instruments                                                                                                        Buy SubZero MC2 Passive Studio Monitor Controller. Free delivery and returns on eligible orders.                                                                                                                                                                                                        www.amazon.co.uk                                                                               
There may be others.

Also, there may be some "Passive Direct Injection (DI) boxes" with stereo/mono switch or button like this one, allegedly:

Stagg 2 Channel Passive DI Box With Mono / Stereo Switch SDI-ST: Amazon.co.uk: Musical Instruments                                                                                                        Buy Stagg 2 Channel Passive DI Box With Mono / Stereo Switch SDI-ST. Free delivery and returns on eligible orders.                                                                                                                                                                                                        www.amazon.co.uk                                                                               
You may need to use different connectors/cables/adapters with all of these though.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部