View: 479|Reply: 8

Need a new CD/amp unit

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
28-11-2019 02:37:51 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
I posted a while back about resurrecting my old Denon hifi. It was this thread here:
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                Servicing my old Denon system                                                                                                        Hi  I'll admit I'm a newbie and I won't make any pretensions as to knowing what I'm talking about nor saying I have the best gear in the world. But here goes  I got my old hifi system back from my folks as I now have my new place and I want to basically get it back up and running. It's not been...                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                www.avforums.com                                                                               
Well good and bad since then. I've serviced the cassette deck and all seems fine. Plays fine, had the deck running through my system in my studio (I'm a musician as well) and all is well. I've also swapped out the old Sony turntable for a new Denon DP450. Happy with both.

Now back to the CD Player. Despite my last post there, it hasn't gone as well as I thought. The CD player seems to skip badly and the output seems go a little crazy way too often. Whether I'm playing back cassettes or vinyl from either of the two decks, the output descends into fuzzy static. I think it's safe to say it's toast.

I was looking at the later Denon DM41 as a replacement. The problem is there only seems to be one single analogue input, which means I can't connect both the tape deck and the turntable.

I'm not married to Denon by any means and would ideally like to keep things compact. Can anyone recommend a decent mini system that has a good cd mech and will take inputs from both my other units? Or should I cut my losses and go with a separate CD Player and Amp? I was ideally wanting to pick something up for £300 or so.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
28-11-2019 02:37:52 Mobile | Show all posts
You could add a three way audio switch for about £10.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
28-11-2019 02:37:54 Mobile | Show all posts
Separate units are always going to be more flexible in connection potential and quality, you will also find that a separate amp will give you more power. There are CD players for sale in our classifieds including my two year old Marantz cd6006 as well as some amps.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
If you are open to second hand then at that budget then I think you would be hard pressed to bear an Arcam Solo Music (not Movie).

Example - ARCAM Solo CD/DAB-FM Tuner/Amplifier/Receiver, with Remote & Handbook, 1 Owner  | eBay

review -
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                Arcam Solo stereo receiver/CD-player                                                                                                        None                                                                                                                                                                                                        www.hifiplus.com                                                                               
newer version if you can find one in budget - Review: is Arcam's Solo Music the best all-in-one audio system? | gramophone.co.uk

or possibly the Linn Classik for a little more -

example - Linn Classik Music  | eBay

review - Linn Classik CD receiver Page 3

However if you can find a Rotel Ra03 and Cd03 (should be in budget) then separates may be a better way forward.

If you could haggle and stretch a little then this looks like a very good buy, however given the quality of the phots I'd want to audition and pick up or get a lot more and better ones to prove operation and quality, but these were near the top of the line in their day and will run most speaker up to £1000  - Rotel RA1060   matching CD (no model given), £350.

Facebook Marketplace: Top of the range rotel 1060 amp plus matching transport CD/ DVD player will come with remote mint !! – Electronics and computers – Denbigh                                                                                                        Mint !cheap for both all as new ...                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                www.facebook.com                                                                               
A couple more options to add to your list. For info, what speakers are you planning on using with it ?

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
marants pm6006,&marants cd6006,great units

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
The Arcam solo is a great idea. In a different league from the rest.

You could ask this guy to post his as you don’t need the speakers.

I doubt you’ll find a better bargain.

ARCAM SOLO MINI AND TDL NUCLEUS KV1 SPEAKERS PAIR AUDIOPHILE DAB FM CD PLAYER  | eBay                                                                                                        ITEM CODE NUMBER P84A.                                                                                                                                                                                                        www.ebay.co.uk

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
28-11-2019 02:37:55 Mobile | Show all posts
And...

ARCAM SOLO MINI AUDIOPHILE HIFI SYSTEM CD PLAYEr DAB   | eBay                                                                                                        If with 28 mile radius will drop it off for £10 for you to try etc if you prefer.                                                                                                                                                                                                        www.ebay.co.uk

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
I think there are three versions of the Arcam solo music that I can find -

Mk1 music - 50wpc into 8 ohm, cd
                                                https://www.arcam.co.uk/ugc/tor/solomusic/Information Datasheet/solomusic_flier.pdf                       

Mk2 music - 80wpc into 8 ohm, sacd, Bluetooth, class g amp, one line/digital in, hdmi switching
                                                https://www.arcam.co.uk/ugc/tor/solomusic-cs/Product Flier/solo_movie_music_D_120716.pdf                       
Mini - 25wpc into 8 ohm, cd
                                                https://www.arcam.co.uk/ugc/tor/solomini/Information Data Sheet/solomini_flier.pdf                       
There is also something called neo but not sure where it sits.
                                                                                                                                                                                                        Neo - Music System - Arcam                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        www.arcam.co.uk                                                                                The mk2 does not have the two line inputs you need so would try and go for the mk1 if possible. Mini is cheap though.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
Oooooo! Best of both worlds -

Arcam solo preamp, cd, dab etc, mk1 above.
Arcam p80 power amp 65w into 8 ohms
                                                                                                                                                                                                        DiVA P80 Power Amplifier -  - Arcam                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        www.arcam.co.uk                                                                               
Depending on your speakers you may also be able to biamp, solo for the tweeters, p80 for the woofers.

£315 in Guildford, may be worth a gallon of petrol to see/hear it and make a cheeky offer.

Facebook Marketplace: Arcam Solo CD Player & Arcam p80 Power Amplifier. – DVD & Blu-ray Players – Guildford                                                                                                        Perfect working condition. Contemporary looking, and supplies great sound. Collection only unless local then happy to deliver.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                www.facebook.com

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部