listening to CD's on headphones direct from CD player vs amplifier

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
28-11-2019 02:38:57 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
Hi
I am listening to CD's direct from 90's Technics SL-PG590 to my headphones Sony MDRXB700  / Philips Fidelio X2HR.

The sound is clear and detailed, yet I hear less bass, comparing to Wharfedale DIAMOND 230 speakers.
I absolutely love the sound out of these speakers btw, if you want to mark me as a non-audiophile ;-) LOL

Is the "thinner" sound from CD player down to the headphone amp inside being weak? (it can actually go very loud - i am listening at about 10%)
Would I benefit from a 90's Technics amplifier?
Perhaps a modern headphones amp would be a better option?
I would listen on the room setup but due circumstances, I am limited to headphones.
Thank you in advance.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
28-11-2019 02:38:58 Mobile | Show all posts
Welcome to the Forum.

Both your headphones are of low enough ohm loading to be easily driven by the headphone socket of the Technics. The Sony are a closed back design and this will restrict bass reproduction somewhat. The Philips have always been regarded as being weak for bass but an excellent headphone for the money.

For a short while I just listened to the headphone socket on a Marantz SACD player that had an output of 30mW, I suspect your power may be below this. Buying a headphone amp has given me 400mW and the audio has improved massively. You will be limited to just one pair of RCA line in on the vast majority of headphone amps if you want a the CD player connected directly. This will preclude you linking the CDP to a stereo amp. The way around this is to use the amp's record function out to the headphone amp.

I now listen to one of my SACD players linked directly to my headphone amp as I listen to 80% of my music this way. I previously had the headphone amp run through the record out on a Rega amp which also worked extremely well.

What kind of budget do you have in mind for the amp and they run from £115 for a Project Head which is good solid amp and would be an improvement over the Technics socket. I use a Lehmann Linear for is higher end but by no means the most expensive out there. Richer Sounds in Cardiff usually carry the Project Head. There is also the Rega Ear but I've read that it has floor noise with low ohm headphones.

https://www.audiot.co.uk/products/project-head-box-s2-headphone-amplifier-12012.aspx

https://www.audiot.co.uk/products/naim-headline-2-headphone-amplifier-7372.aspx                       
                                                https://www.audiot.co.uk/products/lehmann-linear-headphone-amplifier-7172.aspx               
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 28-11-2019 02:38:59 Mobile | Show all posts
Thank you for the guidance!
My budget is non existent atm.
How the Project head box, would compare to MARANTZ AV Surround Amplifier PM700A which can be had for ~£50.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
28-11-2019 02:39:00 Mobile | Show all posts
I know nothing of the specs of the Marantz and it can be considered to be vintage. I doubt very much that it's headphone circuit would be as good as the Project but may certainly be better than your Technics as it would be able to draw on more power. Marantz do tend to pay more attention to the headphone circuit rather than just adding one as an after thought. You do have a pair of headphones that are very easy to drive. I cannot comment further than that as I've no experience of that particular Marantz model at all.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
28-11-2019 02:39:00 Mobile | Show all posts
How do the headphones sound on your phone? Some phones are very good so if that sounds better, ripping the CDs to lossless or high bitrate MP3 & storing on your phone may be an option in the short-term. Your phone is likely to have EQ as well but if not, there are numerous alternative players.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 28-11-2019 02:39:01 Mobile | Show all posts
great idea with the phone. i actually made some FLACs from some CDs and played back on the main room system with great results.
I listen to unknown to me music on CDs. i have about 7,000 in boxes from last 40 years. none of which I ever heard, except for single tracks played on the radio.
it would be a job to convert them all!
i could take the receiver from living room but that's bulky denon connected with lots of wires and being used to watch movies so shifting it back and forth would be an exercise too.
i think, i need something like the Project Head
but looking at my budget,
i think that i need a vintage amplifier with solid headphones out to pair with the CDP.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 28-11-2019 02:39:02 Mobile | Show all posts
perhaps there is a decent, vintage portable CDP ?
i remember the sony portable cassette players which were awesome
soon after arrived some portable CD players which were not great...

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
28-11-2019 02:39:03 Mobile | Show all posts
Couple of Project Heads on flea bay. It's a pretty good little amp, I have listened to one with Shure 1540 closed back headphones.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                Pro-Ject Head Box S Audiophile Headphone Amplifier - Boxed  | eBay                                                                                                        Pro-Ject Head Box S Audiophile Headphone Amplifier in silver - Boxed. Listed as used but has had very little use so condition is very good. Has all original accessories.                                                                                                                                                                                                        www.ebay.co.uk

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部