Author: Gerry557

Amps with home theater pass through suggestions

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
28-11-2019 02:40:16 Mobile | Show all posts
Is the integrated amplifier used when playing movie’s in your scenario or only when listening music via the inputs of your integrated amp?
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

28-11-2019 02:40:17 Mobile | Show all posts
@Symphy944 the integrated is just used for music using its own inputs and not used for movies. But my AVR doesn't have pre-outs so can't use it as a power amp to drive the fronts for movies.

If you've got preouts on your AVR you wont need the switch, and you dont need HT bypass on integrated, but you just need to manually set the integrated amp volume to the right level (the level used when running initial setup e.g. YPAO). HT bypass just makes it easier to have an integrated act as a power amp.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
28-11-2019 02:40:18 Mobile | Show all posts
@Symphy944 I use a Marantz PM11S3 in the configuration you are thinking. It powers the L/R and use it in dedicated Power Amp mode for movies via a processor and can be switched using the onboard controls to integrated mode for stereo via the other inputs. Though the power amp mode cannot be switched via the remote, only via the front panel.

Beast of an amp, there was a couple on eBay around your budget last time I checked.

The KI-Ruby also has a power amp mode which is another high end amp can be had in your budget on eBay.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
28-11-2019 02:40:19 Mobile | Show all posts
I used an integrated amp the way you suggest before. And it works.
But since all music sources are better to be connected to the preamp of the integrated (assuming that its preamp and DAC section are better for music than those of the AVR), it is dangerous to connect the preamp outputs to a normal input and to put the volume to the max. When you change to another input in that scenario, your speakers (and ears) can get damaged.
The HT input bypasses the volume (and other) settings and doesn’t have that problem.

Use magic Report

28-11-2019 02:40:20 Mobile | Show all posts
The PMA-2500NE is a serious bit of kit. I cannot recommend it enough. Stereo imaging is excellent. The HT bypass goes straight into the power amp missing out the pre amp. It will be a few weeks before I get this set up (I am just using in stereo at the moment) as I am still building the AV room, however I suspect all control will be via the AV remote when used as HT bypass. It is worth noting this is not just an excellent(!) amp but also has a top quality DAC, phono stage and headphone amp.
I wrote a review on here with links to professional reviews you may wish to read;-
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                Denon PMA-2500NE & DCD1600NE review                                                                                                        Great review, many thanks!  I got my Denon PMA2500 a few months ago now and am delighted with it. But...you wrote that it wouldn’t accept banana plugs: it does! I bought some Van Damme cables terminated both ends with banana plugs and they fit beautifully in the Denon amp. Just loosen the...                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                www.avforums.com

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
28-11-2019 02:40:21 Mobile | Show all posts
Hey Numpty. I read your review with much interest and amusement. When someone starts with saying he is totally no professional, what follows is most of the time very informative and even objective. So I respect your opinion even more.
Having the AVR-X4500H and the Denon HD7200 headphone, I am a bit of a Denon fan, but I really didn’t thought the PMA 2500NE is such a fantastic amplifier. I have always the tendancy to search with less known brands, and I don’t consider the ‘big brands’. This is why I finally ended at Hegel, which you also seem to know. The first Hegel I heard was not so long ago the Hegel Rost. And if your room isn’t to big, even the H90 is a fantastic amplifier. Very smooth, realistic but dynamic sounding. Dit you get the chance to hear/compare them with the Denon 2500?
For me it is important that it is a good allrounder and that it has I reasonable integrated DAC and a headphone amplifier built in...
Thanks for your input. Love to read again about your project, and many thanks!

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
28-11-2019 02:40:23 Mobile | Show all posts
Remote (Harmony) switch-ability is important. A few weeks ago, I had the possibility to buy a KI Ruby for a great price. But it was stil to early budgetwise...
Thx

Use magic Report

28-11-2019 02:40:24 Mobile | Show all posts
The integrated DAC is excellent and upscales. Likewise the Phono pre amp is very good. I have not used the headphone amp but it reviews very well

Use magic Report

28-11-2019 02:40:25 Mobile | Show all posts
Also interested in a stereo amp with this feature.  The HT bypass must be accessible by IR remote.  Is that the case with the Cyrus One HD?  Speakers are Kef R500.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
28-11-2019 02:40:26 Mobile | Show all posts
Infrared: no idea. As far as I know it is not delivered with a remote, and you can control it with a Bluetooth compatible Smartphone app.
But I added the Cyrus One HD as test in my Logitech Harmony setup and it shows the AV Input as selectable. So with the Harmony Elite (which I can recommend) the Cyrus is easily switchable and you can program it in an activity to set the correct source automatically.
Great speakers the Kef R500’s!
What surround amp is driving them if I may ask?

Use magic Report

1234Next
Back New
You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部