View: 487|Reply: 6

Target Turntable shelf or alternatives under £150

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
28-11-2019 02:42:22 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
Do these things still exist or are they no longer available ?

I really like the look of the VW models but they seam to be scarce.

Other options are the Pro-ject wallmount IT 1 but I don't like the way there is a large gap at the top of the wall section. The IT 5 is nice but expensive at £199.

Have looked at the Apollo ones but they are to industrial looking.

Budget is around £150max.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
28-11-2019 02:42:23 Mobile | Show all posts
At £150 they are very difficult to find. The Rega is slimline and available these days in black or white for £99. When I changed my tt I bought a piece of acrylic sheet and put 3 vibropods in the rega cups to support the tt with 4 feet. Worked fine and should be do able new for around your budget.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
28-11-2019 02:42:24 Mobile | Show all posts
Are we exclusively discussing WALL MOUNT Turntable shelves?

There are only a limited number of designs for these.  You have to pick from what is available or design your own.

Also, before we even consider the turntable shelf, we have to consider the walls and their general construction to determine how well a wall mount shelf will work.

Turntable shelves like this are tall to reduce torsional stress on the mounting points -

Superfi - Apollo WT2 SE Hifi Wall Shelf

Superfi - Apollo WT1 SE Hifi Wall Shelf

But as I pointed out, what you mount the shelf to is as important as the shelf itself. I don't think this will work well if simply screwed into sheet-rock/wall-board, or even plaster-over-lath. I think the screws would have to go into solid wood, or perhaps into concrete block or brick.

Here is the same Apollo WT1-Se but with a wood shelf -

Apollo WT1 SE Turntable Wall Shelf  at Audio Affair

It is further important that the shelf be as level in all direction as is humanly possible.

In a situation like this, Google is your friend.

Turntable shelf - Google Search

Here is the Project IT1 shelf -

Harrow AudioProject Wallmount-IT 1

Another thing to be sure of is that your turntable will fit on the shelf and have room for the Duct Cover to be opened.

If you want something less industrial, and assuming you have the walls to support it, then check out HiFi Racks Turntable Shelf -

Mike Manning Audio HiFi Furniture  Page

But back to the more realistic, the Apollow WT-SE comes in black or silver with a glass or oak shelf -

Apollo WT1 SE Turntable Wall Shelf  at Audio Affair

There are a series of picture at the above link, if you scroll to the Seventh picture, you will see the Shelf in Silver with both glass and oak. The Fifth picture shows the Shelf with Black finish and an oak shelf.

You will also notice that some of these shelves seen at the Google link are simply Right Angle Brackets from the local hardware or building supply store combine with a solid shelf made of wood.

right angle shelf bracket - Google Search

Antique Cast Iron Wall Shelf Bracket Traditional Victorian Design X1 | eBay

Cherub Iron Shelf Brackets (240mm x 200mm) - Iron Shelf Brackets - Shelf Brackets - Catalogue  : Black Country Metalworks Ltd

The last set above are £19, though not sure if each or per pair, but even at each, the would be about £40 plus the cost of the shelf, which I don't imagine would be all that expensive to make.

Others of similar design -

Cast Iron Shelf Bracket with Scroll - Iron Shelf Brackets - Shelf Brackets - Catalogue  : Black Country Metalworks Ltd

Black Antique Iron Ornate Shelf Brackets In Pairs

But, I repeat, I'm more concerned about your walls than I am about your choices in shelves.

Steve/bluewizard

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 28-11-2019 02:42:25 Mobile | Show all posts
Thanks for the info guys.

@Steve - Is your concern for the strength of the screws into the wall or how the acoustics are effected if not screwed into a stud partition ?

I normally use heavy duty toggle screws when hanging shelves / units on walls, and I've yet to have an issue (touch wood).

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
28-11-2019 02:42:26 Mobile | Show all posts
You could look at s/h units from also Mana and Quadraspire, both of whom I believe manufactured them.  Likely to be available on the bay.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
28-11-2019 02:42:27 Mobile | Show all posts
I'm concerned about the limits of common sheet-rock or wall-board to support the weight, especially extended on on the long lever-arm of the shelf. Though most turntable don't weigh much, it would be a disaster if the screws gave way and the turntable fell.

But, I leave it to you to assure that it is secured sufficiently.

Steve/bluewizard

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
28-11-2019 02:42:28 Mobile | Show all posts
If I may chime in on this thread, as an ex plumber there is an item we used for dry wall to fix radiator brackets to called butterfly bolts. Basically a threaded bolt with spring loaded "wings" which when folded flat are inserted in a drilled hole. When on the inside of the wall these "wings  open out and as t you tighten the boltclock against the wall.
Done correctly they will last for a long time.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部