View: 94|Reply: 0

Criminally underrated

[Copy link]
1-12-2019 04:55:54 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
Think of many underrated movies out there. "Chaplin", with Robert Downey Jr. Martin Scorscese's "Kundun". Kevin Smith's "Chasing Amy". Or Troy Duffy's "Boondock Saints".

"The Brave", based on the novel by Gregory McDonald, is among them. Why the critics at Cannes... canned this film, I will never understand. This film should have been released in the United States, and everywhere else around the world, for it is a sensitive drama that truly shows what an artist Johnny Depp is.

Raphael's (or is it Rafael? I'm not sure) love for his family compels him to sign on to star in a 'snuff movie'. For those not in the know, it means he will be killed on camera for money. He hopes this money will be enough to bring his family out of poverty. He takes care of everything in his life before following the trail to his doom.

For a first-time director, Johnny Depp does a better job than many big-time directors (Michael Bay? Are you paying attention?). The score by Iggy Pop also helps the film move along. And it's gripping finale outshines other classic endings, like "Planet of the Apes" or "The Sixth Sense".

This is easily among my Top 100 Movies of all-time. It's far better than many classic movies and current films around. So if the reason behind its unfair dismissal by film critics is justified, then show me the flaws. Because I can't find any.

10 out of 10

score 10/10

kermitthefrog594 10 March 2008

Reprint: https://www.imdb.com/review/rw1836608/

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部