View: 79|Reply: 0

The Last Dragon -- Thank God there's no more!!

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
1-12-2019 06:02:26 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
This is obviously a campy martial arts flick from the '80s. I was too young to see it when it first came out, but I did remember hearing a lot of hype about it. I finally saw it a few years back, and like all '80s movies, it ages badly. The music is standard 80s, and so is the utterly insipid storyline. But, taken for what it is, it's a pretty enjoyable film.

Unfortunately, the filmmakers make one too many mistakes: 1) the long length (clocking in somewhere around 2 hrs); 2) the full music videos during the club scenes (I felt like I was watching VH1's '80s-retro day instead of a movie); 3) the bad acting and uninspired direction. Compared to many of its 80s-compatriots, the acting and direction isn't anything new. It's just, well, too '80s, a period in which good movies were as rare as a politican who told the absolute truth.

The good: I did enjoy some of the music, if not just for the sheer retro feel of it. The big hair was a riot; and some of the fights were pretty good, even in comparison to the more technically and creatively superb fights of today's cinema.

This is Charlie's Angels for the '80s. It's camp, it's dumb, but maybe that's what the makers intended. Maybe.

score /10

yojimbo999 18 May 2001

Reprint: https://www.imdb.com/review/rw0223261/

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部