View: 134|Reply: 0

Most Disappointing Film of the Year

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
1-12-2019 13:16:02 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
When I heard from Fantastic Fest that there was going to be a UK-based, Christmas-set comedy/horror/musical, it immediately jumped to the top of my most anticipated film list. With an idea that unique, what could possibly go wrong?

I found every minute of Anna and the Apocalypse to be cliche, tiresome and predictable. All of the jokes/gags were lowest common denominator/exactly what you would expect in any given moment from a writer with zero comedy experience. I didn't laugh once, and I'm a huge fan of UK comedy.

I found each of the songs to be unoriginal, forgettable and not nearly as witty as they clearly thought they were. I go out of my way to watch musicals, so this might have been the most disappointing aspect to me.

I understand that this film was shot in Scotland, but is it really that difficult to cast one person of color? The majority of the characters are high schoolers, and every actor in the movie, zombies included, was white (or light-skinned mixed). When I noticed that relatively early on, I had a feeling this would not be the most thoughtful film.

I don't feel the need to speak on the zombie aspect of the film as I found it to be unremarkable in every way.

Only one other time in my life have I walked out of a movie theater before the ending of the film, and the other time it was because of an insufferable audience.

This was easily the most disappointing film of the year for me, but I can totally understand why someone would enjoy it. Hearing countless people call it "A cult classic in the making" made me think that a film with such a unique melding of genres would at least have something of an original approach rather than featuring a cookie-cutter plot, characters with zero depth and cliche after cliche.

score 2/10

Jdchrstnsn 12 December 2018

Reprint: https://www.imdb.com/review/rw4507231/

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部