View: 142|Reply: 0

Another saccharine film about the big Indian family

[Copy link]
1-12-2019 19:34:51 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
Sooraj R. Barjatya's Hum Saath-Saath Hain is another Hum Aapke Hain Koun, and while it is enjoyable to an extent, it is one of the most saccharine films you'll see. It is a nice, positive film, there are no villains as such, it is musically abundant, it has cliché and melodrama, and it has an all-star cast. During the first half, all of them smile endlessly while someone performs a song, they have fun, they live happily together, and all is blissful. The second half is, in a most predictable way, a melodrama of sorts. In all seriousness, there are so many characters in this big wide family that throughout the film I got confused as to who's who and how exactly they're related. But then, the film's success lies in the fact that nothing really is intended to be too serious or heavy. It's extremely outdated, particularly when watched today, but it's also quite light and feel-good. The dialogue never sounds particularly real or convincing, but while the film is slightly boring at times, it's never tedious. I give it credit because at times it is very entertaining, and several sequences are sheer fun to watch. The song numbers are colourful and I particularly enjoyed Saif and Karisma's spoof on different popular Hindi songs, although the family's reactions got on my nerves. The "ABC" number is extremely silly and childish, yet amusing and nice. The acting is suitable for the film, and no one is challenged with a great part. The girls look pretty, the guys are good with Saif doing the best job, and the rest of the cast are either mere shadows or caricatures. Hum Saath-Saath Hain is theatrical and typically sugarcoated, at times to the extent of being unintentionally funny, but it is a decent one-time watch for lovers of Hindi movies.

score 4/10

Peter_Young 30 October 2011

Reprint: https://www.imdb.com/review/rw2511007/

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部