12Next
Back New
View: 604|Reply: 10

Ring alarm

[Copy link]
1-12-2019 21:26:31 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
I just noticed the option for ring alarm in my ring app. I did a bit of reading and it seems to get favourable reviews. Does anyone know when this may be arriving in the uk and how it stacks up to other offerings? I can't see any vibration sensors listed which I would want. I always think it's odd being notified someone has broken in rather than that they are trying to.

Ring Alarm Security System

Use magic Report

Author| 1-12-2019 21:26:32 Mobile | Show all posts
It seems this is due for release in uk on 7th Nov. Is anyone going to give it a go? I'm a little more interested now Amazon own it.

Alarm Security Kit (for 5 piece)                                                                                                        A smarter way to protect your property from the inside out. Effortless to install and completely customisable to fit any home. Includes Base Station, Keypad, Contact Sensor, Motion Detector and Range Extender.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                en-uk.ring.com
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
1-12-2019 21:26:33 Mobile | Show all posts
Well at least silencing it is going to be easy - rip off wall, stamp on it, silence. No pesky external bell boxes or internal sounders to worry about. Looks pretty, has a pretty app. I guess it will send you a notification of activation, 30 seconds before it is permanently decommissioned.

Use magic Report

Author| 1-12-2019 21:26:35 Mobile | Show all posts
TBF I would run it alongside my wired alarm and could use it when at home easier with its home mode. Reminds of verisure that cold called us at work on a few occasions. Similar set-up but about 10x the price. A mate got burgled with a standard alarm. Somehow they manged to drill his bell box in the correct location to disable it and cut power/phone etc. No alarm is infallible.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
1-12-2019 21:26:36 Mobile | Show all posts
I agree, no alarm is infallible and being truly honest their efficacy these days is limited. Foaming (builders urethane foam) is pretty standard for muffling bell boxes that are accessible although most burglars today dont even care about alarms much. They are effective at night to wake up house occupants, but little more than that. Even remote notifications are of limited use as are call centre notifications. Cameras are slightly more useful as it allows you to maybe identify the little toe-rags after the act or notify you of possible intrusion attempt.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
1-12-2019 21:26:36 Mobile | Show all posts
I’d like to get a smart alarm system. We currently have an ADT monitored alarm with an internal siren rather than external bell. It’s very uncomfortable being in the house when it goes off but doubt it would do very much to deter a burglar.

Had been thinking of contacting ADT to enquire about upgrading to their smart system but I’d ideally like something that integrates with some of my other products (HomeKit/Alexa/cameras etc) which I don’t believe the ADT system does.

Use magic Report

Author| 1-12-2019 21:26:37 Mobile | Show all posts
My friend went with ADT after being burgled. I've previously looked at texecom ricochet but the complexity and expense put me off. The ring system now has amazon behind it. I have the doorbell and a floodlight camera and since amazon took over have been happy with the various upgrades. The alarm can be integrated with these products. I'll wait for bf to see if price drops, although I have protect plus so can get 10% off anyway. I noted in the usa where it's been out a year bigger packs for less money are readily available so hopefully uk will follow suit. 1 motion sensor and 1 contact sensor isn't going to cut it.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
1-12-2019 21:26:38 Mobile | Show all posts
If it's anything like my past experience with an original Ring Doorbell the notification will arrive 30 seconds AFTER it has been stamped on.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
1-12-2019 21:26:38 Mobile | Show all posts
To be honest that is relatively more expensive than something like a Pyronix Enforcer, which can do more, is a fully featured Grade II alarm, is also wireless, has a proper external SAB, has button remotes, a phone app, RFID tags and is well supported..

As a typical example of a Pyronix Kit

Pyronix Enforcer ENF/KIT1-UK Wireless Kit

£260

The accessories are similar price, except the Pyronix PIRs are pet immune and are fully encrypted end to end to gain their Grade II certification.

Use magic Report

Author| 1-12-2019 21:26:40 Mobile | Show all posts
Can the pyronix be self installed? Does it have battery and mobile data backup option? I like the fact it has shock sensors, as I prefer these for some locations to contact/Reed switch sensors. Does it not have the same vulnerability that if someone finds the base station they can just smash it?

I wish there was somewhere you could test all this stuff so you can decide what works for you.

Use magic Report

12Next
Back New
You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部