View: 365|Reply: 2

Noob needing help with vacation home.

[Copy link]
1-12-2019 21:40:33 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
Greetings.  I am a complete noob regarding smart home products.  We are buying a small property on a local lake, about an hour from home.  We may be looking to rent it through Airbnb in the future.  The home is heated and cooled by window units.  One 115V and one 220V. What I'm looking for is a system that will allow us to turn on/adjust the window units remotely so we can cool/heat in advance of our arrival.  In addition, we would like it to work with a smart deadbolt so we can authorize guest entry.  We may want a couple smart outlets so we can turn on/off a lamp at times to make it look like someone is home.  We may add a camera doorbell to aid in security.  

We use an Echo Dot at our home, and may go with Echo here as well.  What do you suggest we use for our system?  I've read and read about different hubs, locks, etc. that work with various systems, but want one to operate everything.  Also, since this is a second home, and we are not wealthy, we are very cost conscious, and don't want to pay for top of the line components.  My understanding is that there are thermostat controls that can turn on and adjust the outlets for the window units.  I guess I need to buy a stand alone hub, unless Echo with the built in hub will work.  I'm just totally lost here and don't want to start buying components that will end up not working together.  I've tried to search the forum, but with little luck.  Thanks in advance.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
1-12-2019 21:40:34 Mobile | Show all posts
Automating a property that somebody else  will use is insanely hard.
If it’s just for your own family it’s much easier. Personally if you want to AirBnB the only things I would consider would be a smart lock - probably Slage. I would also consider a smart doorbell, such as Ring Pro to check on renters arrival and departure.

Lighting and AC can be operated using something like TP Link WiFi plugs but these will not work for visitors.

I would not put an Echo in for visitors.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Author| 1-12-2019 21:40:35 Mobile | Show all posts
Thanks for the reply. It will mainly be for us to use.  I just want to set it up now in case we want to go Airbnb in the future, so we don't have to change again later.  Is there a single app that can work with a single hub for all the components listed?  Deadbolt, window a/c control, and video doorbell.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部