12Next
Back New
View: 663|Reply: 15

AC Infinity T7

[Copy link]
1-12-2019 21:44:04 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
I've just received my AC Infinity T7 (  Additional S7 fan) for my IKEA Besta floating Media Cabinet to cool my Xbox One X which gets incredibly hot and loud at the moment running in a completely closed cupboard (zero ventilation).

Currently, I have to open the cabinet door every time that the Xbox is powered on, which is unsightly and still gets very hot.

I bought the white replacement grills also (had to get these imported as they were all out of stock in the UK on Amazon).

I'm going to be fitting it this week, I've borrowed a jig-saw from a friend. I've not done much DIY previously so does anyone have any hints or tips on fitting this?

The media cabinet is currently wall mounted, and I was hoping to keep it on the wall whilst doing this, would this be okay?

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
1-12-2019 21:44:05 Mobile | Show all posts
Plan your work.  7Ps - Positive Prior Planning Prevents P155 Poor Performance

Understand what it is you want to do, where and how you want to do it. Make your self space to work. If you are working in situ, dust sheets maybe advisable.

Ensure that you have the correct tools for the job. As a minimum I would recommend:

Jigsaw with correct blade
Pencil.
Ruler.
Small tape measure.
Joiners square.
Battery Drill
Selection of wood bits - 2mm (for piloting screw holes) and 7mm for pre-drilling corners
A roll of masking tape - useful if you don't want to mark your cabinet
Small torpedo level.
Scrap Wood - when drilling holes, place the timber firmly behind where you are drilling, so that you drill into the scrap timber, it reduces break-out.
SAFETY GLASSES - cabinets can be replaced if they get damaged, your eyes cant.

Take your time.

Make sure that the jigsaw has the right type of blade for the material that you are cutting and that it is a nice new, straight blade (jigsaw blades get bent).

Take your time.

If you are not used to using a jigsaw, practice using it on some scrap timber. Get used to how it feels, how quickly it cuts and make sure that you keep the 'foot' of the jigsaw flat on the timber that you are cutting at all times. Practice cutting straight lines.

Drill the corners of where you are cutting with a 7mm bit. This will allow you somewhere to start your cuts and somewhere to run into at the end of each cut.

i would advise that you get a scrap piece of timber and cut out the size of hole you need for each item and make sure that it fits in the scrap timber. Once that you know that it fits you can use that as a template for your actual cabinet.

Take your time.

The old adage, 'measure twice, cut once' is always worth bearing in mind.

Your worst enemy will be rushing the job. Feel confident with what you are doing at each stage and ensure that you have enough time to get what you need to get done.

Good Luck
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
1-12-2019 21:44:06 Mobile | Show all posts
i installed a 3 fan and a 2 fan ac setup in my cabinet and to be honest i would remove your cabinet from the wall to get a tidy install, power tools are quite big compared to the gaps you will be working in.
have a think how you want it to work - ie 1 fan in and 1 out - you will have to remove the casing and reverse the fan if you want the grills both on the outside. 2 fan blowing out - where is the cool air going to come from.2 fans blowing in - where is the hot air going to go.
where to position the fans to increase the flow over the xbox,  are you going to use the cooling for any other devices in the cabinet as i think the controllers can do up to 6 fans.
there are quite a few wires with usb to plug in and you have to site the controller and temp probe somewhere too, i would set it up on the floor first too make sure both fans work on the thermostat not just running all the time as i think you can piggy back them both onto each other or attach both to the controller.
was a good afternoons work with my stand dismantled (i did have to modify it to remove drawers and a divider though)
i think if i had a sealed unit i would add some vents to the bottom of the unit and to the shelves and position the fans on either side in order to draw the cool air up and through the entire cabinet
i used an oscillating cutter for mine and its a tool i wouldn't be without.
sorry for the rambling, hope ive given some food for thought
ben

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
1-12-2019 21:44:06 Mobile | Show all posts
I have an Alphason Element 2500 which is pretty tight in each compartment. What it does have is vents routered into the  base of each compartment, which allows air to be drawn up through base and around the AV gear. Currently I have an AC Infinity Aircom T8 fitted on top of my AVR. This pulls cool air vertically through my amp and exhausts it at the rear. It works very well.

Use magic Report

Author| 1-12-2019 21:44:07 Mobile | Show all posts
Thanks for all your suggestions guys they were really helpful.

I did the drilling and sawing yesterday. The holes are a fraction too small and need sanding down a little.

I didn't take the cabinet off the wall as it would have turned this into a huge job, although I would have preferred to.

Some of the corners could have been done a little better, but hopefully, I can sand this down to get cleaner corners and a snug fit.

I will try and add pictures soon!

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
1-12-2019 21:44:07 Mobile | Show all posts
Hi MisterCrease,

How'd the install of the AC Infinity fans go? Do you have any pictures that you could possibly post please?

Use magic Report

Author| 1-12-2019 21:44:07 Mobile | Show all posts
Sorry for the delay. I have some photos below.

It performs great and I would highly recommend to anyone with a similar set up!

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
1-12-2019 21:44:08 Mobile | Show all posts
Hi I am looking at getting 5his myself if amazon ever gets them back in stock and not a marketplace seller, can I ask why no screws in the face plates ?
Thanks

Use magic Report

Author| 1-12-2019 21:44:09 Mobile | Show all posts
Hi - screws were included. However I have not installed them as the modules stay in place perfectly well without, and I didn't want to make any un-necessary holes.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
1-12-2019 21:44:11 Mobile | Show all posts
Thanks for taking the time to reply, looking really nice fitted

Use magic Report

12Next
Back New