View: 410|Reply: 1

Setting up Harmony Hub without a remote

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
1-12-2019 21:44:48 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
How to set up Harmony Hub without a Harmony Remote.

I just added some information on setting up the Harmony hub without a Harmony remote. Using a google mini to control TV. It is possible. I emailed Harmony tech support and they walked me thru it.
In my case, I purchased a used hub off  EBay. I didn't want one with a remote because the point of getting it was to use it with a google Mini. I purchased the Google mini for my mother because she has failing eyesight and injury to her hand, she can’t dial a cell phone or a use a regular remote. The mini allows her to call out using her voice. When I realized that it also can be used to voice control her tv I bought a used hub. During the set up process it ask you to put your remote in the charging cradle so it can link to it. We didn’t have a remote (just cable providers standard remote), so it wouldn't get past this step. I tried exiting the setup and starting over, it didn't work.
Harmony tech support gave me this process. Plug in the hub, start the app on the computer, (you can't use the mobile app because you need to connect thru usb for step 6 below)

1. Launch the MyHarmony software on a computer. If you do not have it yet, you may download it through one of the links below.

Windows: https://app.myharmony.com/prod/win/...90.1388432562.1563623011-453143962.1557170439
Mac: https://app.myharmony.com/prod/mac/...90.1388432562.1563623011-453143962.1557170439

2. Once on the software, do not log into your account. Stay on the page where it's showing the options for "Facebook, Google, and Email".
3. On your keyboard, press the following keys.

Windows: Alt   F9 or Alt   Fn   F9
Mac: Option   F9 or Option   Fn   F9

4, A new screen should appear saying "Update Remote". If this is not showing, repeat step 3.
5. On the list of options, look for "Others" and click on "Unpair".
6. Plug the Harmony Hub to your computer.
7. Beside "Remove All Pairings", tap on "Unpair All".

The first time I tried it, I missed the part about plugging in hub to computer USB in step 6 and couldn't select the remove all parings unpair all button on the second screen. When I plugged in the hub thru usb I was able to select it. Then I was able to get the software to complete the installation.

Then I added the hub to the google home assistant, and added the TV to the harmony app.
I have the goggle mini turning TV on and off, controlling volume and mute. Only problem now is I am not able to change channels with google mini. I'm waiting for harmony tech support to look into that, but I was able to get past the remote link screen using the alt F9 key sequence.
Hope this helps others.

Ted

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
1-12-2019 21:44:49 Mobile | Show all posts
Good work.

Personally I find the remote infinitely easier than voice commands. So much quicker to grab the remote and mute, change channel or change the volume than trying to get voice commands working over the top of a noisy TV program (plus the fact it's actually silent to do). Likewise changing from my Nvidia box to Sky is a single button press. Always think in most situations voice is just so much more of a faff, slower, less responsive and prone to way more errors than simply picking up the remote and hitting a button. Voice has it's place but controlling complex (or even simple) AV operations is not one of them.

Think I'm getting old

G
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部