View: 372|Reply: 6

Time for new TV, which to choose?

[Copy link]
1-12-2019 22:21:30 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
Hello everyone, big time lurker first time poster. I'm in big dilemma regarding which TV to choose. Went to store, look at the LG 65 B8 OLED with the wife, got ''blown'' by the image quality,decided that's gonna be. Then I stared reading from owners here in the forum regarding OLED burn ins, exchanging panels in Currys etc. and decided to not proceed with OLED, I don't need another ''child'' to babysit, one is enough at the moment. And knowing we will watch same programs every day, NetGeo Wild HD will be permanently burned. I have read a lot of info on this board - thank you for that,and had though I made my mind going for LED LCD Sony 65FX9005, very nice TV,picture quality, colors, viewing angles, went to 3 Curry stores to look at all 3 TV's, because some didn't have the LG or the Panasonic displayed. So once in the store I really liked the picture quality of the LG 65SM9000 and Panasonic 65GX800, and here comes my big dilemma. Which one to choose? My budget is flexible up to £1500 for the TV, will get soundbar for the sound on separate budget. Two days ago I found a youtube channel Quantum tv, who pretty much said a lot of today TV's are rubbish and you pay for marketing and badge, the one he recommends Samsung Q8FN is nowhere to be found being 2018 model. He trashed a lot of the rating channels I've seen so far like Rtings and so on. From reading reviews on new Samsung's I'm left with the impression that they are not good for model year 2019. Also all employees at Currys I spoke to said to avoid 2019 Samsung model, way to overpriced for what they offer. They also said the Sony is one of the best, but also LG are on par with it...
Now I'm thinking what the hell do I buy(excuse my language), all 3 TV above are in the range of £1400-1500, can I buy £1000 TV and sill be good for my need or do I need the newest top of the range LCD. Just found out Richer Sounds has last year LG 65SK9500 for £1099, is that the best option? Or can I go cheaper knowing my current TV is probably 5 times ''worst'' then entry level Sony,LG and Panasonic. I do have time, TV will be purchased in the next couple of months.

I just need normal modern TV, capable of delivering good picture, which is going to last lets say 5 years. I'll be using it for watching SD and HD content satellite tv, netflix, youtube, films from laptop via hdmi, hopefully 4K as well, no games whatsoever. TV will be watched from 3 meters away both straight on and from small angle.
Any advice is much appreciated.Sorry for the long post.

P.S. My current TV is 2013 Samsung 46F5000. I've not owned smart TV before.

Use magic Report

1-12-2019 22:21:31 Mobile | Show all posts
There's not been a great deal of improvement over the past few years in TVs, and a lot of the picture quality limitations right now are with the source material rather than the display. SD handling has arguably gone backwards, although it's going to look worse with a big leap in size like that anyway.

If you're not watching HDR and only hope for a few 4K sources then I'd rule out the expensive TVs like the XF90 and Q80 as their HDR ability is where they really shine.

What's the lighting like when you're watching TV? A well lit room means anti-reflective coating and brightness is of more importantance and contrast of less important, while a dim room is the opposite.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Author| 1-12-2019 22:21:32 Mobile | Show all posts
May be there wasn't much improvement in the past few years, but since the last time I was shopping for TV... looks like space age leap to me.
I haven't watch HDR or 4K before, as I don't have such capable TV, but enough HD channels and movies. I really don't know how much HDR I'll watch, because I don't know how available it is. I'm guessing up scaling will be important in my case regarding SD and Full HD content? The living room is bright, facing South/South-East, but I got blinds and curtains, so light is not a problem.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
1-12-2019 22:21:33 Mobile | Show all posts
If you are looking for a set to last you five years then I would go for the Sony XF9005. Never go by how the sets look in the shops the Sony wins hands down for motion and upscaling. You can easily get caught up in review after review. Buy from Richer sounds as a VIP member and you'll get a six year warranty.

Use magic Report

Author| 1-12-2019 22:21:34 Mobile | Show all posts
Thanks for the advice. I'm really caught up in reviews and totally confused, still reading/watching. Regarding the 5 years, that's my thinking, but yesterday a mate of mine was asking me why last 5 years when technologies change all the time, may be my thinking is of old style..Definitely will buy from renown store, not from a dodgy website. May be on Sunday I'll visit Richer Sounds store for expert advice, I say may be, because the closest store is 20 miles away in Edinburgh.I'm still keeping an eye on LG 65SK9500 from Richer Sounds.

My mate is with entry level LG 2018 model using some IPTV app and is very happy. Choosing tv is harder then buying house, because of so many options available.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
1-12-2019 22:21:34 Mobile | Show all posts
You're not wrong there! Try not to get too hung up on everything. Decide what will suit your viewing habits (LCD or OLED) and then your budget and that will make things much easier.

The technology is advancing all the time BUT we seem to be in a state of limbo at the moment with LCD having stalled and OLED probably having just reached its peak with MicroLED waiting in the wings...but seems like it will be very expensive. I tend to work on the basis of trying to by the best I can with a view to keeping it for 5 years of more, this has served me well for the last two decades. If I had to pick two brands to focus on personally I go for Sony and Panasonic as they produce very realistic images and provide excellent upscaling and in particular with Sony great motion.

Use magic Report

Author| 1-12-2019 22:21:34 Mobile | Show all posts
Just little update, unfortunately I'll have to reduce my budget to max £1000, may even less. I'm in a process of buying flat and was just informed by the bank that I've to cough up an extra £989 for the mortgage, so no Sony XF9005 or similar TV for me . I'll be going today to my local Curry's to check LG 65UM7450, LG 65UM7510 and 7610 series.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部