View: 352|Reply: 4

Does HDR Make Perceived Judder WORSE?

[Copy link]
1-12-2019 22:34:22 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
Here's an interesting tidbit to chew on...

I read about it online via various sites, and it seems my own eyes are confirming it with the one UHD Blu-ray I own, Equalizer 2, but I wanted to run it past you folks: Does the "extreme" nature of HDR make perceived judder in the picture WORSE?

Here's why I ask: Whenever I watch Equalizer 2, which was authored in HDR10, the disc's transfer seems to exhibit these little "micro-stutters" which I experience on DVDs and Blu-rays too (watching on a Samsung NU8000) but they appear to be more aggressive and more recurring on the 4K UHD disc...

I had read online that because a display needs to crank up backlighting and contrast to accommodate an HDR signal, this can cause additional judder in the picture...is this true? If so, I'll work on adjusting my Samsung's Auto Motion Plus settings when watching HDR content...

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
1-12-2019 22:34:24 Mobile | Show all posts
I've not watched my 4K bluray but the ones I have I have never notice micro stutters.

Equaliser 2 I did watch at 4K but via Rakuten and the image seemed fine again with no stutters, the only complaint I had was the audio, voices were far to quiet.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

1-12-2019 22:34:25 Mobile | Show all posts
Perception of motion is tied to perception of brightness - just look at backlight strobing - so it wouldn't surprise me if the higher contrast pictures of HDR made motion irregularities more obvious.

Of course you are watching on an NU8000 which won't be displaying a particularly HDR picture, so it may be a software/design issue instead as you suggest.

Use magic Report

Author| 1-12-2019 22:34:26 Mobile | Show all posts
That's really odd because I have absolutely NO problem with the vocals coming from the Dolby Atmos (TrueHD core) track on this disc -- the mix is near reference in my opinion. I do, however, get the micro-stutters even with the TV's motion controls jacked up a bit...

Use magic Report

Author| 1-12-2019 22:34:27 Mobile | Show all posts
From what I understand, the NU8000 is capable of displaying a pretty effective HDR picture -- if not at QLED or OLED levels -- but the problem I think lies in the way the contrast, local dimming and backlight settings are cranked up to maximum during HDR playback, perhaps causing micro-stutter/judder in the software as suggested.

Last night, I experimented with cranking the Judder Reduction up to "5" (on the Samsung scale from "0" to "10") and this didn't help with the jerkiness/twitching I saw watching the Equalizer 2 UHD BD during certain sequences, notably in the beginning when the mother is racing to the Boston building to pick up her daughter (who McCall saved). Just before this sequence arrives, there's an obvious "twitch"/judder on my screen that I can't seem to dial out...

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部