Back New
Author: Steve Withers

CES 2019 News: TV manufacturers announce 8K Association

[Copy link]
1-12-2019 22:36:11 Mobile | Show all posts
The recent Samsung ad said it all "upscale your favourite content to 8k"  Right there they're underlining that 8k content doesn't exist, but if you upscale it all, it'll be more amazing than you can possibly imagine.  Maybe for a decent UHD disc, but the local BBC news isn't going to look too good.

Everyone has to draw a line beyond which there is no need to go anytime soon.  I've drawn my line and see no reason to change any part of my AV kit for many years to come.  And I'm fine with that, I've got the best set up I've ever had within my budget and house layout.  It's why I'm becoming a rare visitor here, over the last year I've used it a lot to help with stuff I've been buying, but right now I'm not researching anything so my visits and posts are fewer.

As for this association, it sounds good, but as with 4K, one of the manufacturers will want to go their own proprietary way; the "UHD Premium" label was supposed to make buying a fully featured 4k tv nice and easy? Wasn't it Sony, hmm?
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
1-12-2019 22:36:12 Mobile | Show all posts
I bought my last plasma in '12. I thought at the time, before 4K was even mentioned (at least that I can recall seeing), that I would change it around '21 or so. Still looks a reasonable time frame to me the way developments are going. Previously, I had a Panasonic TH5 42" plasma for 9 years (retired to my office), and before that a Sony 29" CRT for 9 years (gone to the knacker's yard).

Use magic Report

1-12-2019 22:36:13 Mobile | Show all posts
Streaming "cough" ... in the uk with Virgin Quoting 300  Meg Then Throttling the Speed (Calling it traffic Management) Trying to Stream 4K is Bad Enough (its like watching Norman Collier - Remember Him? The UK Could Have Been a Leading Country With its Broadband Network? However As ALWAYS NoBody wanted To invest at the beginning (BT , VIRGIN , CABLE TEL) & Now they are ALL Spending Way More ... Than all chipping in at the start?   You Gotta Laugh The GOVERNMENT have Promised Faster Broadband For ALL ... Except you know what past promises have come to? NOTHING? Brexit Anyone "cough"

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
1-12-2019 22:36:14 Mobile | Show all posts
I'm on virgin media myself and stream 4K often and never had a single issue with it handling that. Streaming 4K is about 15mbps and my connection is around 200mbps so it could very easily handle 8K. I know that isn't the average connection speed in the UK but still plenty to handle 8K easily enough. 8K will be streaming, I gurantee it. We aren't going to get 8K discs. It maybe a few years away but for the people who don't have the connection speed for it can still just stream in 4K or 1080P if needed.

If you quadruple the bandwidth 4K needs then that brings it to around 60mbps for 8K but i'm sure they will also come out with much better compression codecs to bring that even lower.

Use magic Report

1-12-2019 22:36:15 Mobile | Show all posts

Use magic Report

Back New
You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部