Author: paul cliff

Light stripes problem

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
1-12-2019 22:36:53 Mobile | Show all posts
I've been looking been at the photos of your four clusters of 'dead pixels' They look more like thunder flies, as opposed to dead pixels,  that have crawled into the space between the LCD panel and the backlight and conveniently died. I've had them in every LCD / LED I've owned. These insects swarm, usually hot and humid summer days, there's not a lot you can do to prevent them. They are attracted to the light and short of not using your tv on those days, there isn't much you can do to stop them. Even with the tv off, they can still find their way in.
They were pretty much the reason I switched to OLED. They can't get into the screen (well, not so far )

You'll get great blacks with an OLED and consistent light levels, but even so there is still the chance that your OLED panel could exhibit banding in low level light scenes. And then there is the worry of image retention and / or screen burn. It was never this stressful owning a CRT TV.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 1-12-2019 22:36:53 Mobile | Show all posts
Thanks for the info, I've just had a call and they are replacing my TV tomorrow.

Could you elaborate on how an OLED TV can suffer from banding? I was under the impression it was impossible as it doesn't use a backlight

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
1-12-2019 22:36:55 Mobile | Show all posts
Like you, I thought banding wouldn't be possible on an OLED due to them having no backlight.
However, research on these very forums proved that it is a very real thing. It's another panel lottery, I'm afraid. I've been lucky with mine, but others not so much. Have a look at the OLED forums here and / or Google OLED banding. And then if that hasn't put you off, Google OLED screen burn.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 1-12-2019 22:36:56 Mobile | Show all posts
Replacement TV has been installed, definitely a massive reduction in banding to the point I really had to look for it. I'll pay close attention over the new few weeks and see how its going

Use magic Report

Back New
You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部