View: 384|Reply: 4

VA LED washout

[Copy link]
1-12-2019 22:39:29 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
Hi there, been pondering replacing my Samsung PS51d550 plasma telly for some time now.

After lots of research I plumped with a Philips PUS557303

My thinking was

VA LCD - Better blacks (v important as my living room is quite dark)
Android TV (personal preference but means I can stick a load of emulators on the telly with no need for another box
P5 processing - supposed to be good for upscaling standard content
Ambilight - have a full Hue lighting system and love the integration with the TV
Decent Input lag

However, once stuck on the wall even if I am very very slightly off centre the edges of the far end of the screen are very washed out. Blacks are quite a bright grey but the left hand side of the screen is jet black. Screen is a little high however...

I'm guessing this is simply because it's a VA panel ( i have calibrated so its as dark as possible without inducting black crush) I know plasma is good but it sucks 400w up and it's starting to fail.

I'm kind of thinking OLED is the only way as Philips doesn't have a FALD LED set in the UK (annoyingly they have some good ones in Europe)

I just cannot justify £1000 (best case scenario) this very minute but I could wait and save up I know Philips are due to announce a load of new sets so maybe I should wait.

The deal on the TV was pretty awesome at £520! but considering I've had the plasma for 8 years I don't think this would be good enough for that amount of time.

Is a QLED from samsung that much better for viewing angle in dark scenes? Of course that would mean ditching android and ambilight but other than OLED i see no other option?

Thanks

Jonny

Use magic Report

1-12-2019 22:39:31 Mobile | Show all posts
Samsung's LCDs aren't anything special in terms of viewing angle. Sony's ZF9 is the best VA in that area, but that's out of budget.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
1-12-2019 22:39:32 Mobile | Show all posts
The viewing angle in your other post is simply ridiculous . 'Slightly' off centre ... to the sides, ridiculously off angle from below. There is not a single LCD tv that will give you a good viewing angle in both horizontal and vertical direction. You should have mounted it to the left or right instead of above the fireplace ...
I recall one budget (R series) Sony with an unorthodox pixel structure/ arangement that gave it a better than normal vertical viewing angle but at the cost of an even worse horizontal viewing angle.
This one Sony R510C Review (KDL40R510C, KDL48R510C) - RTINGS.com (and Sony W650D Review (KDL40W650D, KDL48W650D, KDL55W650D) - RTINGS.com the 40" specifically, no telling if the same type of panel is in the 55").

[haven't seen any 4K tv's with something like this yet]

"This is the second TV we see with an horizontal pixel substructure, the other being last year Sony R510C. TVs with this kind of pixel substructure don't have a good horizontal viewing angle but have slightly better vertical viewing angle which is good for setups where the TV is mounted above eye level."

Instead of something used in the other 99%

Use magic Report

Author| 1-12-2019 22:39:33 Mobile | Show all posts
Oh hell if it's ridiculous I better change it I always thought above fireplace was best

It can only go there really as I have a big 5.1 system and that means the screen is central to the room.

Do you think lowering it a few inches will make all the difference?

the other thing I would just add is that even sat centrally (abeit low) the edges of the left and right are still beginning to grey. I guess the issues with LCD are more obvious on a large screen?

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
1-12-2019 22:39:34 Mobile | Show all posts
, ... it would help if you could tilt it forward. The sides washing out when sat in the middle is possible but usually reserved for bigger sizes and closer viewing distances than in your case. Does it still happen when you view it on eye level?

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部