View: 624|Reply: 1

So I bought a Bush 49 inch 4K TV lol

[Copy link]
1-12-2019 22:45:53 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
So, I've just bought a Bush tv. Yes, one of those TVs that you get at Argos. In my defence, it's not being used for home cinema purposes, and it was a 49 inch 4k (no HDR, as it was 16/17 model?) for about £125.

And I just thought I'd tell you guys about it since I'm bored at work on my night-shift.

Build quality is rickety at best. Feel the plastic squeeak as you go pick it up. Extremely light though. The screen is not "fixed" and if you tap it with your fingers you can make a gap between the screen and the edge.

Connectivity etc is fine, reads of USB stick fairly decent speed. Dedicated Netflix button. No Amazon Prime Video which is not good so I'll see if I can cast it from my mobile TV through Google. Only 2 hdmi though. Don't think I've discovered an optical out yet...

Sound is dreadful, "better" sound from a £40 32 inch Samsung which it replaced in the living room. I think I'm going to hook up a very old Altec Lansing 2.1 in the headphone jack.

And the picture. I'm just using Virgin V6 box so normal TV.. Obviously default setting were not good (person I bought from never changed it) there is a "cinema" mode, and "warm" colour temperature. Forget 2 point 10 point or gamma. No separate RGB slider (or yellow magenta cyan) , only a slider between red and green. And a separate "skin tone" setting also between red and green.

On the bright side, this set had good screen uniformity and minimal backlight bleed.

Basically I tried my damndest to calibrate the TV by eye, based on my previous exposure to plasma TV, Samsung 7 series and calibrated pc monitor.

The end result is that it is impossible to get the colours looking just right for everything. There is a sort of purple hue that affects the red and there is a tendency for skin tones to look slightly green. Of course having the TV brighter helps, but it's not a cure, especially when brightness is at level for room. Having the skin tone slightly tilted towards red helps with the green a little. Films with dark scenes can look extremely bad, massive pools of black, loss of detail and poor colours. Boosting brightness helps a little but not too much and it would make the rest of the content too bright.

Incidentally, the TV show that looked the "best" on this set was the Jeremy Kyle show, with the most natural presentation possible on this model. Maybe the production team mastered it to look good on budget TV sets lol.

As I only spent £125 on it. I got what I paid for and it's OK. I feel sorry for people who have to watch it all the time for everything. I have a 65" curved Samsung 2016/17 7 series up stairs in the "serious watching and listening room". I regret selling my old 51" F5500 Samsung plasma and not keeping it as secondary TV, which I wasn't sure I was going to need when I moved house.

Also, since Bush and Toshiba are both made by Vestel (back of TV is almost identical) . Id hate to be anyone buying a new Toshiba set on black friday that shares this panel..

Use magic Report

Author| 1-12-2019 22:45:55 Mobile | Show all posts
after about 4 days I've gotten sick of the TV

about to buy a 55 inch used sony for about twice the price. I guess I've just been too used to better displays for this not to be an eye sore :/
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部