12345Next
Back New
View: 1100|Reply: 49

Camcorder and video editing Frequently Asked Questions

[Copy link]
2-12-2019 01:50:14 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
This is the official AV Forums camcorders and cideo editing FAQ thread. If you have contributions to be made, please post a reply and a moderator will collate the information into the main FAQ. In addition if you find any old threads which you think are essential reading, please reply with their details (preferably a link) so we can include them in the list. Thanks

FAQ Index
1) Where can I find reviews of camcorders and editing software?
2) What is Firewire?
3) How to avoid dropping a frames while capturing video to a PC via firewire
4) What are the tape formats?
5) Are you having problems with timecode resetting in the middle of a tape?

Use magic Report

Author| 2-12-2019 01:50:15 Mobile | Show all posts
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Author| 2-12-2019 01:50:16 Mobile | Show all posts
Firewire is a high speed data link between two or more items of electronic equipment.

Connectors come in two sizes, a large six pin and a small four pin. Typically battery powered equipment uses the smaller type whilst mains powered uses the larger connector. There are powered and unpowered versions of this interface which use the same connectors.

Firewire connectors are fitted to all the latest Apple Macintosh range, some modern PCs and can be fitted to older PCs by adding a PCI expansion card.

If your PC is running Windows 98 or earlier you have to install a driver for your Firewire interface, later versions of the windows OS have native support for it.

Capturing Video from a DV Camcorder is as easy as connecting the your PC straight to your camcorder (normally with a 6-4pin cable) and running your capture or edit software.

Use magic Report

Author| 2-12-2019 01:50:17 Mobile | Show all posts
Ensure that you have "DMA" enabled on your hard drive! I had exactly that problem when I first got my camera, and only after asking around a lot of places did I find the answer.

To enable "DMA", click Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> System -> Device Manager -> Disk Drives -> Select your hard drive -> Properties -> Settings -> Tick the box beside "DMA" and restart your computer.

Hope this helps.
[thanks to Robstro for this Q & A]

Use magic Report

VHS & VHS-C - most people know what VHS is, and VHS-C is a smaller cassette with the same tape inside, which can be put into an adaptor so that it will work in a VHS player.

S-VHS & S-VHS-C are a higher bandwidth (more resolution) version of VHS, with outwardly similar cassettes, but are not compatible with VHS players, though S-VHS players can playback VHS & VHS-C.

Hi-8 is an analogue tape format using an 8mm tape. It has picture quality (PQ) similar to S-VHS, but takes up much less space. It cannot be played back on VHS players.

Digital-8 is a digital version of Hi-8, using the same tape, but in a digital manner. Digital-8 camcorders can usually playback Hi-8 cassettes, but the reverse is not true. It can be readily captured using a digital link to a PC.

MiniDV & DVC-Pro are high resolution digital tape formats, which use the same digital system, so that DVC-Pro equipment can read MiniDV cassettes with a suitable adapter. PQ is determined by the recording camera, and in the case of DVC-Pro can be very good (almost 16MM Film grade according to Quentin Tarantino). DV is very easy to capture to a PC, and is usally accomplished by a Firewire link.

MicroMV is a proprietary Sony format, which is not as readily captured by a PC as DV.

Recording Standards:
PAL (Phase Alternate Line) is the European TV standard, also in use in many countries around the world. It operates at 50 fields (half of a frame) per second, with 625 lines per frame.
NTSC (National Television Standards Council) is the American TV standard, also used in Japan. It operates at 60 fields per second, with 525 lines per frame.
SECAM is the French TV standard, also adopted in Russia. It is almost identical to PAL, except for a different colour modulation. It also runs at 50 fields per second, with 625 lines per frame. In digital equipment PAL and SECAM are recorded the same way, and the eventual colour modulation is done by the player, so a PAL DV cassette is easily viewed on a SECAM TV.

Use magic Report

Do not stripe the tape before using in a camcorder, it causes pointless head and tape wear. All camcorders work in assemble mode, rewriting timecode and control track as they record. The sensible practice is to use the 'end search' button during filming if you have to change batteries or review shots.

If you don't have 'end search' then simply try to carry on recording for a few extra seconds after you need, then you can leave the camera parked in this area on the tape, the timecode is picked up and continued the next time you record something.

Also, keep an eye on the timecode counter when you go to start recording something, if is reads 00:00:00:00 then spool back the tape until it picks up the existing tape timecode and you're good to go.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 01:50:17 Mobile | Show all posts
Can you explain the various ways that some camcorders produce a '16:9 widescreen picture'?   Psuedo, true anamorphic etc.

Also which manufacturers/models they appy to.

Thanks

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 01:50:17 Mobile | Show all posts
Fairly old link but have a look here

http://www.adamwilt.com/DV-FAQ-etc.html

Use magic Report

2-12-2019 01:50:18 Mobile | Show all posts
The most reliable way of transferring video from a DV cam to a PC is via firewire (aka i-link, IEEE1394)
You would normally only connect your cam to a PC using USB if you wanted to transfer stills taken and stored on your memory card.
Firewire is THE mode of transfer as it's bit rate is substainable. USB & USB2 only achieve their upper end bit rates in peaks.
You cam may not be recognised by your PC editing package if you only connect via USB.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 01:50:18 Mobile | Show all posts
I must say, thats the first time I've ever seen that advice! When filming stuff for fun or whatever, the timecode isn't of much importance to me, but if I needed to record something where the timecode was invaluable, then I'd DEFINITELY stripe the tape. Maybe in another camera or a DVCAM deck if I had access one, but the chance of losing the code at one point could be a major pain. Virtually every pro guide I've read strongly suggests striping tapes.

Use magic Report

12345Next
Back New
You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部