View: 266|Reply: 4

Panasonic HC v770 mic problem

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 01:59:49 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
Hello all, I'm having lots of trouble with my Panasonic v770 while taking footage in the wind.  The background wind noise is so loud that I can barely hear any voices.  I purchased the rode videomic GO with the wind muff and cannot get good results.  I'm surprised I haven't found similar complaints on this forum.
Is there a different mic set up that works better?  I primarily only use the camera outside so this has become a big problem for me.  Any help would be appreciated!

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 01:59:50 Mobile | Show all posts
Have you set the wind noise function, P87 in the manual?
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 01:59:51 Mobile | Show all posts
The noise limiter will not cut wind noise completely.
The trick is to create an area of still air around the mic.
You need to make a wind muff or deadcat from open cell foam (example water filter foam for aquariums) and a piece of faux fur (teddybear fur)
There are many examples in this forum.

I use a BOYA short shotgun. It comes supplied with a foam cover and a fur cover. Both together eliminates all wind noise.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 01:59:51 Mobile | Show all posts
Wind noise is always a potential nightmare, but as suggested you need to create some still air-space between the muff and the mic.  My own camcorder built-in mic now fitted with a small metal gauze and faux fur is quite acceptable up to modest wind-speeds ( but NOT "blows yr hat off" levels ).
If you can shield the camcorder from the incoming wind, that will gain you extra protection.... i.e. just standing in front may do the trick. However, if you are trying to interview folk: move them to somewhere there is much less wind ( but beware a hedge may itself add noise! ).

It would help if you can tell us your  typical filming subjects and what you've done to reduce wind-noise.
IMHO expensive mics compound the problem due to their extra "performance" .  . . but rarely do I find I need one as I carry a hand-held digital recorder for those "difficult" situations . . . or for "Ambience", etc. as their file-sizes are much smaller than with a picture.

Whilst so-called "noise-reduction" may help, all it is doing is reducing the camcorder LF gain. . . far better to really fix the problem.  You may have seen sound engineers using a "Blimp" ( like a tube covered in faux fur ) - these are really expensive, but if you are DIY-practical, you might be able to make your own.

Good Luck.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 2-12-2019 01:59:51 Mobile | Show all posts
You guys are awesome!  I switched the camera to "manual" and turned the "lowcut" on.  It doesn't take away all wind noise but it helps a lot.  I will check out the BOYO mic and definitely need to practice shielding the camera a bit.
I never would have figured this out on my own.  Thanks fellas!!!

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部