Panasonic HC-VXF1 : timestamp and picture sizes

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 02:03:34 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
Hi,
I have 2 questions which I can't solve with reading manual and forums...
1-Does this camcorder records timestamp or any mecanism to keep date/time of each shootage ? I can't find that information in the manual.. I see in manual that you can sort movies in the SDcard by date, but I don't see how to recover date/time once you have transferred movies/pictures to an external drive (computer,..). Is there EXIF info in the movie file ? or name including date/time ?

2-I don't understand if still pictures can be taken while shooting movie in 4K MP4 or 24p: manual suggests it's not possible to take a picture during recording 4K MP4 or 24p, but another page (about "image size" in chapter about recording settings) shows a table where VXF1 would  be able to take pictures during "animated pictures" up to 6016x3384..

3- Maybe a last question.. though very naive.. Do you think the quality of that camcorder can replace my Canon EOS7D for still pictures ? The optics of VXF1 seem quite good and zoom is much better than my 35-105mm of EOS 7D, but this doesn't mean that final quality is as good.

thanks,
Ricorico94

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 02:03:35 Mobile | Show all posts
1) I know the recorder timestamps the file and I think it will show on screen if EXT DISPLAY is set to DETAIL.

2) One way to find out - try it!

3) The camera will take decent pictures. I have often used stills from my camera and printed up to A3 size.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 2-12-2019 02:03:36 Mobile | Show all posts
What you mention seems a detail shown on the camcorder itself, but once you've transferred fiels to a computer hard disk, how can you retrieve time codes ? (at least date/time of the start of the movie)

Well.. I can't since I'm raising the question before deciding if it's a good buy.. ;-)

Thanks, this does look promising.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 02:03:36 Mobile | Show all posts
It is part of the data on the file. In my case, when I load a series of files into my editor a click on the thumbnail will give the date and time the video was shot.
Fair enough. I do not use this feature as I find it easier to lift the photo from a frame of the video in the editor. I do use the stills feature when I just want a photo outside a video recording.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 02:03:36 Mobile | Show all posts
Hi, Pana Guides do need a lot of reading and patience, er IMHO. However, my Sony Video files ( copied to HDD several times), do have the date-time - you click on the File /Properties, but Win does appear to confuse (me) over the date the file was created ( i.e. in the camera/ gizmo/ etc.) and when I copied it to the HDD. This will be common to all video ( and Still) files I expect.... and Audio if you have a Digital Audio Recorder.... since this is a Win property.
(( FWIW I take the SDHC card out and Copy-Paste to the folder for that card... which is marked so I know which card it is. Once on a HDD it can be Copied to a second drive for back-up; but I don't delete the Original.... otherwise you can get files with the same numbers... very confusing.)).

Most 4K camcorders boast you can print their movie stills - this is true ( and was for HD movies), but whereas HD makes 2Mb Stills, 4K is a more respectable 8Mb . . . but hardly an improvement over almost any cheapo Stills Camera - I do wonder why Mfrs push this feature.  However, in Stills-mode  you can take quite good still pictures ( as I read the VXF1-Spec.... I am thinking of buying one when Pana integrates ND filters =some hope!)... As I read the Instructions, Stills can be something like 25Mpx  . . .  which means with a 24x Zoom you'll not need an El Cheapo stills-camera.

Yet, one suspects that a modern DSLR ( or Mirrorless) with a claimed 24Mpx APSC sensor will beat the camcorder - esp. in low light, since you always have the option of buying a larger (diameter) piece of glass, which means more light-input.
However, a feature that Stills Camera fail is "Battery-Life" whereas most camcorders are much better and you can use a larger battery ( Expensive ), or an external power-pack.
---Whilst camcorder are usually very good in low-light, a picture always improves when the scene is lit well. Also, there has to be some advantage in hauling a large Stills-camera about - although my Sony HD camcorder takes modest 8.9Mpx Stills, against my NEX5 which is older and takes 14mpx....but has only the "Kit" 3:1 Zoom. However, even the Camcorder can't do Panorama - where you swing the camera and it stitches about 5-frames together... in Stills playback via a Projector,( after Editing),  this can be panned, giving a slightly more interesting view.
Of course you can solve this FILEs issue by recording your voice at the start of each Day / Session, giving the Date, Place and Project . . . Later on, this will be useful - I don't know why I don't make a habit of doing this myself.... But I guess I see the Scene Change to confirm "Place", which is a good starting-point.

Hope that helps   

BTW You've not mentioned anything about Editing.... plenty of ADVICE on these pages. Can of Worms methinks.

Good Luck, with your camcorder purchase...

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部