12Next
Back New
View: 663|Reply: 11

Video recording gear for self drive safari in Kruger (SA)

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 02:04:41 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
Hello everybody,
this is my first post
Soon I will be in Kruger Park (South Africa) for a self drive safari. Going out of the car is mostly not allowed except for some specific areas. Perhaps I will also make 1 or 2 night drives and it might be nice to make videos in the dark with infrared
I kindly ask your advice on the gear to bring and perhaps to purchase before going
Right now I have:

1) Iphone 6s
2) Iphone Xr
3) Boya By-MM1 external microphone with "deadcat" for wind noise canceling and a sort of "cage" to hold the smartphone
4) Canon Powershot 60 SH
5) Nikon D3100   Sigma 5,0-6,3/150-600 DG OS HSM Contemporary
6) Bean bag
7) Go Pro Hero 6 Black

A) Do you think it's necessary I buy a camcorder or the results could be more or less the same with the gear I already have?
B) Do you think I could take night videos using a camcorder with infrared or using and infrared light as I learnt from some threads on this forum?
C) Any suggestions on how to shoot animals in the Kruger?

Thanks for any advice

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 02:04:43 Mobile | Show all posts
B) The Panasonic HC-VXF1 has infra red capabilities (plus an IR light) but would probably need an IR floodlight to work in the open.
One advantage of this range of cameras is that they use 5V to run and recharge the battery. This means that you can use any USB charging source to keep the camera running. So if you go this route, a 12V to 5V USB car charger would be useful.
It also has 2V available at the external mic socket so should run your Boya mic OK (but test before you go) I use the Boya BT-VM190P Super-Cardioid Microphone which has its own 9V battery.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 02:04:43 Mobile | Show all posts
If you are happy with HD video i dont think there is a camcorder that is more suitable for filming wildlife where you are going than than the cameras you already have,if you can manage to take a tripod even a light one it would be realy helpfull,good luck.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 02:04:44 Mobile | Show all posts
The HCVFX1 is 4K. It may not be great 4K but it is still 4K. OP now has a choice.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 2-12-2019 02:04:44 Mobile | Show all posts
Thanks both
As for the tripod, in Kruger it's forbidden to use them because you can't get out of the car with few exceptions like pic nic areas or birding hides.
I got a bean bag, that should be helpful but I don't know if it is good enough for video making I think it's mostly for photography
If I want to shood videos with my camera perhaps I should get a car mount like this one below, am I wrong?
NikonCar Window Mount

@Terfyn
The HCVFX1 for sure already has built in image stabilization. Is that enough or am I still supposed to use some kind of mount, tripod, bean bag, or similar?

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 02:04:45 Mobile | Show all posts
Depends on what you are doing. If the car is still then a beanbag on an open window is enough, but put a neck strap on the camera and, if possible, the bean bag. The window mount is a good investment as it would secure the camera and give you a tripod effect using the car as a support. Switch off the optical image stabilisation (OIS) when on a steady support
If the car is moving (and you are NOT driving ) then hand held may be better. You would automatically compensate for some movement and the camera OIS would also help to steady the picture.
A video editor with Mercalli image stabilisation would steady the picture even more.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 02:04:45 Mobile | Show all posts
My mistake,it is not large for moving around with so if op wants a camcorder it may be the best option,but  wildlife at long zoom range is hard without a tripod.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 02:04:46 Mobile | Show all posts
I do so agree but, I guess, this has to be a compromise. The VXF1 has a workable zoom of 48x and a digital zoom of 70x - 1500x (Yes I know.) Perhaps there is a usable range between 48x and 70x when mounted on the window mount.

There are a number of infra red floodlights on Amazon, they all seem to use 12V and are not too expensive. I suggest, if you get this VXF1 camera, you test it with one of these floods. If it works then a 12V supply would be available in the car.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 2-12-2019 02:04:47 Mobile | Show all posts
My doubt about the infrared is that as far as I understand most camcorders have a very limited range, few meters (or feet...). The infrared floodlights might increase the range, but not that much, and that might be insufficient for wildlife videos outdoors. Anyway, the VXF1 camera seems to be a good option in the daylight, and there will be very few chances to shoot videos in the dark. It's forbidden to go on a self drive in the night and the night drives with the rangers must be paid and organized separately. Theoretically the best usage would be inside the camps for animals like badgers or wild cats or close to the camps perimeter if the animals approach the fence, in that case maybe there are also artificial lights and lamp posts in some spots

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 02:04:47 Mobile | Show all posts
Hi, whatever you do - please get familiar with the gear/setup before you go. You can simulate in-car movie making by driving about - how easy is focussing, and try to avoid anything close, as "Auto" may become confused. Check your Trials on a large screen (Like a TV ), to see if it's acceptable.​If you aren't allowed out of the vehicle, that begins to sound somewhat dangerous... so I guess a vehicle check-up is in order. . . . I think a "sun-roof" would provide an "outdoor" experience similar to wildlife camera-crews - but in reality they have very expensive gear, a back-up team and trackers, local knowledge, etc. Trying to do all this yourself is mighty difficult.
I haven't read the suggestion you buy a GoPro  Action-camera favoured by bike-riders/ Skiers( or GP Look-alike, which are cheaper ), as this is fixed focus and wide-angle it covers a wide field . . . whilst this is no good for a well-behaved animal (which you should zoom-into), it creates a lot of acceptable footage, in between anything specific.
BTW, Useful in the Edit - you should use your voice to address the camcorder- so you have a verbal record of where you are, which day, etc.  This can be removed in Edit with audio tracks recorded when everything is quiet ( and the vehicle is silent ).
Lens wipes, spare batteries ( or a power-pack as suggested   Charger), extra Memory which you know works OK and a copy of the User Guide. . . . all useful to take, along with pencil and paper for Editing Notes.   with so much material, you may leave it a few weeks, or Months - it's so easy to forget Which/Where/Why.

Good luck.

Use magic Report

12Next
Back New
You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部