View: 403|Reply: 5

New GoPro - no editing of 4k?

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 02:07:05 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
Just playing with a new GoPro and realised that the free and 'easy to use' options of Quik and Splice do not actually keep the 4K format that I am recording in (which seems pretty daft to me!) I am rubbish with tech frankly and was very pleased with using both the above packages on my iPhone/ipad but seems that Splice isn't available on Windows and when saving the finished file on the iPhone etc. the highest quality option is 1080p!!!!

I am not after anything fancy but just want to be able to combine separate videos I have filmed in 4K with music over the top and some transition effects between the videos, nothing more really so can any clever folks on AVF help me out before the GoPro goes back in the box never to be seen/used again?

Thanks in advance

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 02:07:06 Mobile | Show all posts
IMHO/FWIW,  GP has a good "pro" reputation; so I'm surprised it doesn't produce 4K edits, when that seems to be the main advantage of the newer ( more expensive ) versions.
Are you sure these software packages aren't for  "Reviewing" - rather than a final Edit, perhaps?
Owners here should be more useful ( that may go for almost all my posts ! OOer.) . . .  - but isn't there a GP User-Forum ( elsewhere) that will have the latest Fixes, etc.    . . .   if indeed one is actually needed.

Most folks here have bought Video Editing software, so you may have to choose wisely. . . All claim they are easy - but they are mostly 64bit OS and need 8Gb RAM - some of the "free" ones suggest 16Gb -  such software can be "tricky" for someone new to Editing - although they all have much the same feature-wise - it's just that the one you get used-to appears to be "easier".
What you wish to do is fairly- low-key these days and any 4K software should produce excellent results, although the files will rule-out normal optical discs, so you may have to be content with external USB drives.
Avoid any that have "Easy" in their title - invariably they are a pain as/when you wish to up-grade . . .  Sony had a daft idea ( of many) which had wildly different layouts for beginners . . . (er, so why didn't experienced Users get this immense benefit?) - but it would be a nightmare to move-on and no friends would know how to help, if they had earlier versions ). Thankfully Sony sold its software. But I'm unclear if the new owners Magix are working any magic....
If they retained the best features, then they should include "Show Me How" which gives you tutorials ( abt. 20), to get you used to the screen layout.... while in this Mode you are forced to follow/mouse the instructions exactly - otherwise you can't move-on . . . but it will be interesting to know if Magix retained the feature I complained about =that the on-screen instructions need to be bigger - I bought a big screen because I want bigger, not something fixed in 12pt.

Hope that is some help.....
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 2-12-2019 02:07:07 Mobile | Show all posts
Thanks - the GP software is straight from their site and isn’t ‘limited’ as far as anything appears to be in the options settings etc which is what surprised me although the software has been out for some time

I did test out some other editors capable of 4K but I found them very complicated and no getting away from it the GoPro software is a doddle to use and do simple tweaks so was hoping for something equally easy

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 2-12-2019 02:07:07 Mobile | Show all posts
Just comng back to this question as getting quite irritated by the inability to find an easy to use editor that will keep the original 4k quality of the gopro?

Also i have noticed thateven when saving a standard video file when trying to play back the footage on either my sony tv or even using an ipad with software like vlc or dsvideo the videojumps and does not playsmoothly if at all - seems to be processing power but i dont want to just play videos on the PC so any ideas on how to avoid this issue would be most appreciated too

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 02:07:07 Mobile | Show all posts
Download and try the free version of Fastcut

MAGIX Fastcut – Action-Cam-Software

When filming 4k your SD card has to be able to handle it, but also when paying it back the SD card reader needs to be able to handle the high speed read rate too.

Cdkey for Fastcut can be bought here MAGIX Fastcut Standalone Digital CD Key | Buy on Kinguin

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 2-12-2019 02:07:08 Mobile | Show all posts
Thanks - having tried a few different methods, and just pulling the video files straight off the gopro without editing I have now realised that nothing seems to play the files without stuttering/stopping? I have tried via a USB direct to a 2018 Sony TV, using DSVideo directly to my Ipad etc. and even on the PC (after copying onto the SSD drive ) the file stutters.

The card is a high speed 3 https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07CXY73KF/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and the reader USB 3 so right now I am thinking this whole process is a waste of time and may as well just dump the gopro as anything videoed despite working fine on the gopro is then unusable/unviewable?

Anyone have any ideas before off to ebay the gopro goes!

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部