12Next
Back New
View: 623|Reply: 11

Equipment suggestions wanted for mostly indoor lecture recording

[Copy link]
2-12-2019 02:13:06 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
Hi, new here and I only have a limited knowledge of videoing
I am helping a small charity and we want to be able to video some lectures (and some outside events) to later put up on youtube.
Can anyone please recommend some equipment that will

1. Work well in low light levels indoors (but will also be fine outdoors)
2. Has a radio mike input
3. A suitable quality radio mike
Total budget is a maximum of £1000
Any suggestions much appreciated, Thanks. Tony

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 02:13:07 Mobile | Show all posts
There are several issues, which possibly includes little/no experience in using camcorders.
Whilst yr Budget is reasonable, you will need to include additional batteries and Memory-Cards - then there is the need for a tripod ( a whole field of possibilities )... you can get acceptable ones from under £50,. but sturdier models tend to be more ( and heavier - the photographer's dilemma ).
Radio mics tend to be expensive as you may need one which can change channels ( many promoters may be using similar frequencies and you don't want interference ).  Perhaps you can say "Why" you need this, as using a mic for interviewing (for example) can be very tricky and difficult to control.
Finally  you say you'll be posting on YT which is fine, but may restrict the quality - this can be a good thing, as it implies a cheaper camcorder "should" do just fine.  However, you'll need to EDIT the clips and possibly include an additional voice to join things together. This can be done with most video editors and some will direct the output to YT if you've set up an account.

However, filming, controlling the microphone, the Public and others that will want to hog the time ( to promote their own stuff ), and Edit is likely to  take some time.... as you progress you will realise the "early stuff" just wasn't very good ((Er, unless you are exceptional!)).
SO I wonder that you don't: either/both
1) Join a local film-making club to learn the basics.
2) Ask them to assist/film your next  Event/Show -
For that way you will have a better idea of the Gear you need - and who is going to operate it, make notes and do the Edit. Multiple camcorders are useful as Events tend to have "happenings" some distance apart.

Hope that helps . . . but do take yr time before spending Money!
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 02:13:08 Mobile | Show all posts
All good advice from Harry. It would be useful to know more about the location of the lectures - uni or village hall? (All our village halls around Lleyn are fairly remote)
I use a Panasonic HC-V800 which has good low light capabilities and would work OK in a normally lit hall or if the stage is well lit. It also has an external mic socket. (important for a radio mic.)
I also use a BOYA BY-WM5 radio mic (it works on legal frequencies) which will work over 80-90 mtrs. given a (Wireless) noise free environment. All radio mics plug into the camera's mic socket and are battery powered.
So please come back to us with a little more detail.
Are you North or South Wales?

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 02:13:09 Mobile | Show all posts
Students and teachers are quiet expert here

11 Best Video Cameras for Recording Lectures in the Classroom

Use magic Report

Author| 2-12-2019 02:13:10 Mobile | Show all posts
Hi many thanks for all your replies and to Harry for his in-depth response with lots of excellent tips. I might well see if there is a local group.
I have a history of teaching digital photography and was an I.T. technician for 30 years so I have some background knowledge of the technical side but lack much of the knowledge that helps in the real world.
The setup will be used at different venues, the first this Saturday in a Civic hall and this is fairly typical of it's use case but another place we could  use it next year is very noisy and hence a clip on radio mike will be essential.
I have a tripod and as you say Harry, I plan to get two memory cards and two batteries plus strong carrying case.
The camera will be back from the stage zoomed in hence the need for a radio mike (thanks for the tip re multiple frequencies)
Many people who do amateur videos seem to fail when it comes to audio which in lectures is probably the most important bit.
Ideally I want to go for a 4K sensor as this will give me options in editing and it will not always be used indoors. There will trips to farms etc but the primary use will be indoors.
I run PCLinuxOS and will be using Kdenlive for video editing (freeware)
Terfyn, many thanks for letting me know what you use that is very handy and just the sort of info that I am looking for. All the technical data in the world does not equal someone using it in the real world.
JabbaNut thanks for the link I will work my way through that, very helpful. Cheers

The event on Saturday
No Dig Gardening with Charles Dowding

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 02:13:11 Mobile | Show all posts
So down South. My daughter lives in Saundersfoot and teaches in Ammanford.
One point regarding Panasonic consumer cams. They require 5V for charging and running but Panasonic batteries are very expensive. Some of us Panasonic users now use the Power Packs sold to recharge phones etc. My packs are AUKEY 20,000mAh packs and will run the cameras for up to 12 hours plus they are much cheaper than the OEM batteries. Panasonic supply, with the camera, a DC cable with the USB plug on one end so, I suggest, if you go for the HC-VXF1 or the HC-VX1 this would be the best bet for running the cameras.
Memory cards. A 128Gb SDXC would see you through any lecture. Again I use  a 64Gb SDXC and there is plenty of room on it for me.

Use magic Report

Author| 2-12-2019 02:13:12 Mobile | Show all posts
Hi Terfyn, thanks for the extra info, I'm down in Ystradgynlais myself. I think power packs are a great way of running kit (I have a similar pack myself)
I am looking at the HC-VXF990EBK unless anyone has an thoughts as to why I should not go for it?
I am just researching radio mikes at the moment so any thoughts also appreciated.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-HC-VXF990EBK-Camcorder-Wireless-Function/dp/B01AAGIKAK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1542893280&sr=8-1&keywords=HC-VXF990EBK

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 02:13:13 Mobile | Show all posts
Nice camera in a decent price range. I would go for the 980 myself because viewfinders and me don't get on. My Canon HV20 had a viewfinder and, when I used it, the camera picked up my breathing. So I resorted to the LCD and it has worked for me. The 990 is now replaced by this year's HC-VXF1, there are minor differences but none that I can see that would affect your filming.
BUT do check your prices. Panasonic UK are selling the 990 for £579.99 and Amazon for £599.00
There may be better offers elsewhere.

I suggested above the BOYA BY-WM5. It is a good little system, mic and transmitter plus receiver and connector to the mic input on the camera. It is also two way, the transmitter comes with an earphone and the receiver comes with an earphone/mic combination. The camera operator can talk to the subject and direct the filming. The other multi channel BOYA mics use frequencies not licensed in this country but the WM5 is OK. The WM5 can also be used with third party mics provided they have the TRRS connector.

Use magic Report

Author| 2-12-2019 02:13:13 Mobile | Show all posts
Hi Terfyn, thanks for that. I did look at the HC-VXF1 but for some reason I thought it wasn't suitable but I have looked again and now can't see a reason why it would not work! I will take a proper look again later.
Looking at the radio mike the amazon reviews are poor. Do you personal experience with this mike?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wireless-Lavalier-Microphone-Recorder-Camera/dp/B00M1HBA90
Thanks

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 02:13:13 Mobile | Show all posts
Yes and I think the reviews are a little unfair. Mine works OK. Oddly enough the site you showed had very poor reviews but I checked my original order on Amazon and the same unit is being sold for £69.95 by Diagon Alley Shop and the star rating is mostly four star.

The VXF1 is very similar to the 990 but, I am guessing, the software has been updated. I bought the 800 (HD only) because I don't want to get myself involved with 4K editing. (computer would need updating to cope with 4K)

Use magic Report

12Next
Back New
You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部