View: 394|Reply: 7

Sony HDR-FX1E mini dv transfer.

[Copy link]
2-12-2019 02:13:35 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
Can anyone help?
I shot my sisters wedding on a Sony HDR-FX1E at 1080i. I can't transfer the dv tapes to my computer.
I have sent the tapes away to be transferred to three different transfer companies but the all have said there is nothing but blue on the tapes but I can view the tapes via the camera and I know there footage is on there.
I have tried to transfer onto my computer via firewire but the computer doesn't recognize the camera. I bought a Pinnacle movie box to try to transfer on to my computer but it still doesn't recognize the camera.  
It wasn't my camera and so I am unfamiliar with it. Does anyone have any ideas about how I can do this as my sister is busting my balls and she wants it asap,
Please can someone save my life??????????

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 02:13:35 Mobile | Show all posts
Open Device Manager and check the 1394 driver has (Legacy) behind it. If not reload the 1394 device mangers and try again.
Could correct the problem.

Another problem I had with FireWire cables was that they did not make connection in my camera (Canon HV20) I replaced the cable and the problem was fixed.

And if you are thinking of buying a camera then get one that uses SD cards. (and ,my own gripe, avoid Sony)
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 02:13:36 Mobile | Show all posts
Has the person who lent you the camera got the software for it, have you tried downloading the software from Sony?
Support for HDR-FX1E | Downloads, Manuals, Tutorials and FAQs | Sony UK

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 02:13:37 Mobile | Show all posts
FWIW, if the images you see are on the tapes ( when viewed on the camcorder ), then the camcorder is able to "read" the tape . . . it's very odd that the commercial video firms can't read what was a popular format not that long ago.
Ideally, you should playback on the camcorder which was used to film the wedding, etc.
Perhaps  ( if available) you should check "your" returned tapes, to make sure they are still playable and they haven't been swapped, etc.
Firewire cards are available quite cheaply ( sub £20?) and cables are either 4 or 6-pin . . . so an interface card with both makes sense. The software may be an issue, but Terfyn has suggested a good start.
You might also vary earlier advice here.... Ask the owner if they can transfer the files, ( e.g. onto a portable HDD ), so you don't have the problem.   It may transpire they have lost interest and only the camcorder with attached battery is still available.....
  .................................................................................................
If you do buy a new camcorder, then SD-cards make a lot of sense and any main-stream manufacturer is worthy of consideration... Pana, Sony and Canon - although for "weddings" there may be a preference for Canon DSLRs as these find favour with Pros that have moved to video, but still like to offer Stills. From reading "Specs" the Canon camcorders don't offer "good" Mpx Stills - being little more than a frame's worth.
-Whereas both Pana/Sony offer many-Mpx stills ( DYOR) .... giving you the option of a decent Still for publicity, as well as (separately) movie-files.

Hope that helps.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 02:13:38 Mobile | Show all posts
FWIW my Windows 10 pc, with an aftermarket Firewire card (TI chip) still happily takes on board DV footage from my old Sony DCR PC8E mini-DV camcorder - not in the same league as the model you used to film the wedding but it would appear to be backwards compatible with the non-HD models, according to this quote from TechRadar's review of the HDR-FX1E -

"With Auto selected in the VCR HDV/DV menu,the HDR-FX1E automatically plays back HDV 1,080i or 576i,depending on a screen's native resolution,via the component video output,or the HDV/DV i.Link (Firewire) port that's also used for dubbing and capturing to a HDV/DVcompatible editing system."

HTH

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 02:13:39 Mobile | Show all posts
FWIW, I have DV footage from an old Panny camcorder. The machine has long since gone, but I have managed to transfer the tapes onto a Win10 Sony PC that has a DV input, using Sony's "Play memories" s/w. When I plugged in the DV player ( a Sony DHR 1000UX -  A brilliant machine, btw ) the PC prompted me to download  additional s/w to enable DV transfer and control of the player too. Works a treat. Hope this helps.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 02:13:40 Mobile | Show all posts
Hi, Page 77 of the Operating Instructions states that if you have filmed in HDV mode & want to transfer them in 1080i, in the menu set the VCR HDV/DV to HDV & i.LINK CONV to OFF. Remember when connecting the Firewire cable to attach it first to your PC then to the HDR-FX1E to stop static electricity build-up which can damage the camcorder.
VIProds

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 02:13:41 Mobile | Show all posts
If you can get hold of a s/h Panasonic DMR BS850, Freesat recorder, it has a DV input. You can transfer your DV tapes to it's hard drive and then burn to BD disc, on the same machine. I had a similar issue with DV tapes and that solved it for me. Hope this helps.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部