Panasonic HC-VXF1 vs Canon HF G26

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 02:16:54 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
HI All

about to replace my Canon HV40 (HDV). I still like the camcorder format despite having a DSLR (EOS77d). I'm considering these two models and look for advice/opinions

Canon LEGRIA HF G26PANASONIC HC-VXF1
I'll be using it mainly for holidays/family on the go. I'm very unlikely to be doing anything particularly creative .

I generally don't see the advantage/benefit of 4k (NB panasonic model is canon is not) but I note the sensor in the Canon DIGIC DV4 is quite old.

Aside from holidays I'll be doing a lot of indoor/low light filming (I live in Scotland LOL).

any advice gratefully received.

Tony

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 02:16:55 Mobile | Show all posts
Hi, why you considered the G26 which is larger ? and why the vxf1 ? for the viewfinder?
if it's just for holidays/family look into smaller and handy ones
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 02:16:56 Mobile | Show all posts
Have you considered the HC-V800? If you don't want to go 4K then this may be your better choice.
I've not used a camera with a viewfinder since my Canon HV20. The problem was the camera picked up all the sound, even my breathing.
My current camera is the Panasonic HC-V750 which has excellent low light pickup. I have used it in many very poorly lit situations. (Ghost Train and a spooky Halloween Train) All the definition is there and I use the brilliance control in my video editor to "lift" the picture. All the detail can be seen clearly with no video amplifier "noise" effect.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 2-12-2019 02:16:56 Mobile | Show all posts
thanks guys, I do really want a viewfinder, I find filming outdoors a lot easier with a viewfinder. I'm not too fussed about the larger dimensions. The V800 looks perfect except for the lack of viewfinder...

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 02:16:57 Mobile | Show all posts
I suspect that cams with viewfinders are restricted to the 4K range - nothing wrong with that except the price level - at the top of the consumer cam range.

Oddly enough I have never struggled with the Panasonic LCD, even in very bright sunlight (does it ever happen in Scotland?) I do have a sunshade that goes over the LCD but it is still in the box. All my life I have used viewfinders from the days of my Eumig 8mm, through a Sony Hi-8 and the Canon. My first cam without a EVF was a Panasonic HC-V700 and I never missed that little eyehole. In my case I find it easier to compose the shot using the screen. I use both a tripod and monopod where it is awkward to use the EVF. My next cam , when I have saved up, is the HC-VX1.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
Wex shows Canon G26 at £849 ..... same as the Pana VXF-1.
FWIW,  the Pana is the "later model" and being 4K, should have a better lens and electronics to cope with the faster data-rate  ( although we know that sometimes "compression" will affect this, as Mfrs try to get more recording onto a card. ) .
Incidentally, the Canon is 20x  Zoom, against 24x Pana . . .  not a lot, but doesn't this show the Brand is holding up the price?
Three other issues:-  recording media as Canon pushes CF cards ( which are expensive, compared with same-capacity SD ); I'm 95% certain the Pana uses SD.
- and- the ability to make jpeg stills . . . . I'm fairly certain the Pana can create 24mpx images... not sure how as the sensor is somewhat closer to 8Mpx but it may be the movie-mode combines pixels.
The Lens shallow DoF - in the past Canon were shouting about their multi-blade iris ( with 8, on the G25 I think - DYOR ), but that seems to be omitted from the somewhat brief descriptions.

My two digital cameras don't have EVFs - it adds a lot to price and the extra power could reduce filming-time per charge.
Nowadays, many "features" are via the touch-screen . . . so I'm not sure how these are combined . . . . Anyone? . . . However, for some work the EVF is useful and I guess it may be "a good thing" - yet the VX-1 (LCD-only) is £699 which allows you to budget for a larger-capacity battery, and/or  ND filters for that shallow DoF creativity....

I guess, unless there is some feature that's been omitted, the Pana wins hands-down . . . .
What do others think . . .  and anyone got either model - for a Hands-on review???

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 2-12-2019 02:16:57 Mobile | Show all posts
thanks Harry some good advice there, let's see if any owners chime in.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
Or the Power Bank trick. The Panasonics require a 5V supply to run or recharge the supplied battery, therefore a USB charger will do the job. At 1/3rd the price of a Panasonic battery a power bank will supply all the power you need. Plus extra cash for a decent mic, perhaps a small shotgun.

The Panasonics use SD cards. Currently running a 64Gb SDXC card.

There are a number of "professional" reviews in the magazines.

I understand from other posts that even when recording in HD using a 4K cam the quality is better.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部