View: 434|Reply: 6

making sony camcorder footage a unique number fails using date first.

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 02:17:49 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
Hi,
the nightmare Sony have created and despite folk asking for a fix, they havent bothered, is that after every format the numbering starts with C0001 . I have many same named files breaking all base principles of PC windows and no doubt mac.

We are left to find a fix to loads of same name files C0001.mp4 C0002.mp4 etc etc.

I opted for date up front
2018_08_03 C0001 SteamVintageShow.mp4
2018_08_03   C0081 4k SteamVintageShow.mp4
2018_08_09 C0001.mp4

expecting such as above when clicking make column but initially C0081 was at top and C0001 halfway down despite clicking name column many times, I now spot two gaps before C0081 so remove one and the file drops down a few but still C0001 refuses to be at top.

This should have worked, it does for my folders names as such just with date and name but not a C number for the dslr.

If I click on date modified column then 2018_08_03 C0001 goes to top, its as if windows is ignoring the name order, so I remove the date modified column but makes no difference, name column will not display the names as expected. How is that for you guys, try it.

Just what is going on and what else can I do, but this was the most logical way of sorting out the naming mess that Sony will not fix.

I have read the riot act to them but makes no difference, they just dont care anymore. witness others flagging this up yrs ago.

Merlin

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 02:17:50 Mobile | Show all posts
I accept your frustration but maybe a change in your housekeeping methods might help.

My example is that I always download from my SD card to my PC into suitably named folders. If the shoot has mixed subjects I sort into appropriate folders on download. My video editor allows for uploading multiple folders in any order so giving me the thumbnails in a relevant sequence.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 02:17:51 Mobile | Show all posts
FWIW my Sony CX410 HD camcorder makes files on the SD cards starting 0001, 0002, etc.  and I rarely get beyond 0350 on a 32G card - these aren't mp4
I can leave it a while, charge battery, et.c etc. and the next file is
one more than the previous end of shooting.
There is an option to make the numbers continue from card to card ( well I think that's what it does... but I'm reluctant to change, as it might be something else - Also, if I film a session for someone using their card, they would have a non-zero start and presumably my next file on my card could have a big jump ).

I mark each card with a letter and the 32G are in a separate folders to 16G cards. Each folder will contain all the files that ended up on the [Letter]card, in date-order, although I don't put the date in the filename - I let it allocate the file number.
I have noticed that if I delete  ( eg a short clip) after the next file is present, it senses this is a "file hole" and puts the next shot in there ( So, that is out of sequence!). I fix this by recording a 3 sec clip of some geometric-shape so I'll see this  thumbnail and  will know it should be ignored.
However, knowing this, I try to delete anything at the time - since anything that's short might be an Audio recording and needs checking before deleting.
At the Edit stage, I load a "Starter" File ( this sets up work layout , styles, etc.). It makes multiple BINS, so each SD card is separate into HD-1, HD-2, etc. so as to preserve the shooting-order. Without multiples, it is possible to have the same BIN with files that are in the wrong order date-wise . . . . which I have found to be very confusing when the .vf file is started a few days later.... It seems a shame the file-system can't recognise the date as well as the File-Number whenever there are two clips with the same file-number ( but v.likely to have different lengths ).

It might help if you specified the Camcorder model and card-size you are using, etc.
Sorry, I'm not able to provide any advice for your situation, but hope the above helps a little.

Cheers.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
Don't we just "love" Sony.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 2-12-2019 02:17:51 Mobile | Show all posts
Hi,
I do have folders for my photography each one named as to subject matter though Canon do have sequential numbering even if one formats a card or uses another the device itself remembers the last number allocated. Sony havent got this, the setting that should do it doesnt work. throughout the entire AX100E manufactured, as there are others also with the same issue, they flagged it up and nothing has been done to fix it. Nothing ever will be done. Sony havent fixed the issues raised wsith the AX100, despite it being their most expensive camcorder outside of pro range.

This is not the old Sony corporation thats for sure.

ref this, why is 4k jittery on this 4K camcorder, answer,..25fps, dont use 25fps they say, but 25fps is all the 4k offers on it !

I do alter the folder names as Sony create them so that windows can't put them into date order , so I put them as yr-month-day and I name them for content though thats ok if just a few subjects, else I have to create folders and distibute them out between such.  I still need the files unique so have to add text to them. I just dont like duplicate file names on my PC, its bad practice.

Placing the date at the start of the file makes it then unique, BUT WINDOSE DOESNT PUT THEM IN THE ORDER BY NAME and I cant fathom that out. It ignores name despite name column being clicked on., and uses modified date, well thats just wrong. name order should work for files.

Merlin

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
This is very curious; as one would expect this might affect World-wide sales.... the first person to attempt to use the files will find things they don't understand ( from what I understand of yr Posts).
BTW I realised later that it was the AX100 - but it would be useful to mention the Model for each posting, I guess.
Can you return it to the supplier as unfit?
Anyone found similar issues with Pana?  
Terfyn: how's you new gear going ( you did buy the VX1? ). I'd love one, but really want built-in ND filter . . .  even one would be nice.
Cheers

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 02:17:52 Mobile | Show all posts
I wish! Waiting for a better price.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register