Starting Out With A New Camcorder

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 02:18:18 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
Hi all,

I’d like to start learning how to record and edit videos. I’d like to at some point down the road in a couple of years, start a small business capturing video for people. (Various types)

I’ve had a look online for camcorder reviews and things of this nature but most of them that I find tend to have an affiliate link built into the page. I am aware that sites need to make money but I am not sure which ones are being 100% truthful and actually know their stuff.

I’m not sure that I need a 4K camcorder unless they are not much more money? I have a MacBook Pro late 2015, i7, 16GB Ram and SSD to edit the videos on. I’m hoping that will be ok. I just need to find a camcorder. What would you recommend I start looking at. Budget wise I don’t really have one as I don’t know what a good camcorder costs £1000?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 02:18:19 Mobile | Show all posts
Assuming you want a conventional camcorder, not a semi professional model the Searching for "Panasonic HC-VXF990" - Jessops may fit your bill. These are around £600 so will leave you something over for the bells & whistles such as software case tripod. I have one but haven't used it enough to rate it. I have 3 other cameras that record video & this has the best picture quality without resorting to 4K. The sound is good also. If you click the YouTube link to my channel, there is a show called Harris Does Southport Botanic Gardens, we used 3 different cameras, the clips with the ducks were taken with the Panasonic.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 02:18:20 Mobile | Show all posts
One advantage of 4K Panasonic cameras is that you can record in decent HD. HD is normally easier to edit using average PCs. I have used a Panasonic HC-V750 for some years now and I also have confidence in them.
What subjects do you intend to record?
What would you want to be your final output media? (DVD SD card, USB stick or electronic means)
What other equipment have you budgeted for? (Video Editor, microphones, tripods, lighting)

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 02:18:21 Mobile | Show all posts
I was in a similar situation a few years back. Progressing through various Sony camcorders until I finally landed on the Panny HC X1.
For sound I use twin Rode shotgun Mics with wind gags. Maybe beyond your expected budget, though. The Panny is just superb in 4K, and knowing you have an SSD, it will certainly speed up video rendering. I also use Sony ( now Magix) Vegas movie studio Platinum 15, which I find really good as well, for editing, on an Alienware PC. Filming in HD is fine, but you will eventually always want that extra resolution you get with 4K. Rendering does take a long while though, ( the files are huge ! ) and 4K focussing accuracy is very important too.  The Panny has various focus assists to help, in that regard, and you can get great shallow depth-of-field effects - just like the pros ! 20X zoom as well, which is superb. I upload stuff to YouTube in 4K. Not for any profit, though. Just for a hobby. Hope this might help. Best of luck in your new project.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 02:18:22 Mobile | Show all posts
I would also recommend the VXF990 - as I own one.
4K camcorders give you a degree of future proofing as HD although still popular is likely to be phased out over the near future making getting spares, repairs etc. more difficult. Also as mentioned a 4K cam is likely to offer the best quality HD recording as you can throw away information with the likes of digital zoom/cropping but keep it at full HD quality
Another great option with the Panasonic camcorders (and I can't believe Terfyn didn't mention this ) is that rather than buying additional and expensive batteries the camcorders can be run from a USB mobile phone charger/battery which also last a lot longer than even the highest capacity camcorder batteries.

Your MacBook Pro should have plenty of power for editing, even 4K footage. However storage will get eaten up so an external HDD is very likely to be required. OS X also has a limited range of editing software available and few on here that use it so getting help may be harder to get.

Mark.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 2-12-2019 02:18:23 Mobile | Show all posts
I intend to record functions like weddings and also corporate days.

I would like to provide the customer with an online instant view, USB stick, DVD and Blu-ray of the final product.

I haven’t budgeted for anything as such as it’s something I had no idea on. But I would rather buy something good and save for it rather than buy it all straight away within a certain budget.

I used premier pro (I think it was called) years and years ago. I think it was made by Adobe. Is there a standard software package that people generally go for?

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 2-12-2019 02:18:24 Mobile | Show all posts
Thank you I will have a look at the Panny HC-X1. I will also look at the software you mentioned.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 2-12-2019 02:18:25 Mobile | Show all posts
Thanks for the info. I like the idea of being able to use a power bank to keep the camera going (If I read that correctly)

I do have a 5TB external drive to start with for extra storage. I suppose I need to use SD or Micro SD cards within the camera. I’ll heck put the specs on the relevant websites. 4K seems the way people are pointing for various reasons so I’ll look into those type of cameras.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 2-12-2019 02:18:26 Mobile | Show all posts
Thanks for the advice. I clicked the link in your profile for YouTube but it didn’t take me to anywhere but the home screen for some reason. Tried it twice.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 02:18:27 Mobile | Show all posts
Does that sometimes, works for me in the UK, RU UK based. Try this                                  , the three types of video are a basic CX405 which I gave to my wife as she was having problems using a bridge camera (arthritis), my SJCAM Legend action camera, & my carry about Canon Ixus 185, and of course the Panasonic. The jerky stuff is my wife's but she has vision in only one eye also, so is still just getting used to the Sony. The Canon I carry about all the time, the Legend is in my Panny case so handy for close up candid shots. If the link doesn't work my channel name is stearman65,

Use magic Report

12Next
Back New
You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部