View: 403|Reply: 6

Suggest easy software for some basic editing for go pro?

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 02:18:37 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
Hi everyone, I bought a go pro knockoff, an Akaso v50 for vacation back in april. I took over 100gigs of  video, but when I got home to look at them, the fisheye is terrible, the videos are shaky and a few of them are upside down (that one was my fault!). Im new to action cams, I didnt realize they all shoot with fisheye effect, and are so shaky. Video from my old Canon Digital Elph 340 digital camera is much more stable. Anyway, what Im looking for is a basic editing software that will let me remove fisheye and stabilize all the videos, and flip a few of them since they are upside down. I realize there are a ton of editing software out there, but some are expensive and others would take quite some time to learn how to do these 3 tasks. These are just for home use.

Any suggestions?

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 02:18:39 Mobile | Show all posts
Corel's VideoStudio 2018 has a quite comprehensive lens correction facility. It looks complicated at first sight but you can play with the settings and not damage the original.
I think that there is some freeware to do the same job but I can't remember the name.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 02:18:40 Mobile | Show all posts
Download Virtualdub 2  (no need to install, just run from the location you downloaded to)).....    Use THIS PLUG IN for fisheye correction and THIS ONE to de-shake the footage....All freeware....

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 02:18:40 Mobile | Show all posts
Hi, it's a sad fact of life that action cameras are wide-angle . . . however, any fish-eye effect should be very slight, so maybe you are getting too-close to the subject - where the camera-perspective is exaggerating any effect.  There is "correction" software available, but whenever I've borrowed such cameras, it's not been necessary. Also, it's unlikely to correct effects of being too close, to people's faces, for example.

Try the camera in a park, panning a distant scene slowly, using a tripod and see if the faults you say are down to operation-mode - rather than any inherent faults in your chosen camera.

Budget video-editors will do most of what you want, but there are none that are "Easy" - if you are using HD (1920x1080) then Microsoft's Live Movie Maker  is a free download.... but it has few features.
There are free video-Editors, [ Exception:  Virtualdub from a good source], but these are either likely to wan't to sell you something, or include malware, etc. IMHO they are best avoided. Stick to mainstream.
If you look at top-end video editors, they'll do "light" versions which are free ( Hitfilm and Davinci)- but these need oodles of RAM and 64-bit Operating System. ( this applies to most budget video-software these days - so you'll need a PC with quite a lot of RAM ).  I use Sony's Movie Studio ( now owned by Magix), It is easy to use, but it will take a while to get used to.  Mine is v12 ( for 32-bit OS), and it has a useful feature for learning... "Show Me How" - where you take your own footage and perform one aspect of Editing... it shows you how to do this and you use yr mouse to perform the task. You can't move-on without doing it correctly - it's a fantastic idea and covers about 20 topics....by completing these you will know yr way round the software. On-line there are many videos showing you "how to Edit" - but they are software-specific and presenters are of varying quality.
Most software gives you 30-day free use,  to check your PC is compatible.... but don't expect to learn the software that quickly, unless you are very single-minded.
Sadly, there is no "easy software" about to perform these tasks ( although Action-Camera Mfrs may offer something basic... have you checked? )....
Once folks start to Edit, they'll soon want to add sound, correct colours, add titles . . . So, they might as well buy a real Editor in the first place.
Looking back after a few years and you may see there are missing shots - this is where you forgot to include Opening sequences, you didn't introduce the participants, or give the ending a neat "wrap".  Even if it's a "Bike Run" you are "telling a story" and if you don't include these aspects they can't be made-up later . . . You don't have to include them, but it will make the action flow better for the audience, who would like to understand "why" you took the sequences.

Good luck-  Editing is creative.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 02:18:41 Mobile | Show all posts

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 02:18:42 Mobile | Show all posts
That free version is quite basic ( but free is Nice), - but you'll have to provide yr email to activate it almost certainly - and then you'll get loads of  "OFFERS you can't refuse".
I noted that the £59-version includes stabalisation...but in most case this just selects the centre of the average-frame, so you are zoomed-in . . . it should remove most of the movement, but it may also remove some of what's going-on.  At £59 I'd expect a real Editor suitable for normal camcorder movie-making - so I guess  "You pays yr money...." or accept the free version. The 50-odd music tracks will be useful, but On-Line there are thousands that are equally Royalty-free.
FWIW, I recall Magix did an "Eazy Editor" ( forget the exact name), it was terrible . . . very restrictive and not cheap. At least with Microsoft's Live Move Maker ( for HD ), it is a free download  and that too is difficult to use, IMHO. Could this be a distant "Eazy" relative, I wonder?
... If you buy this, do let us know how you find the learning-curve, features, etc.

While GoPros are not intended for classy Audio, there may be some merit in retaining some of the audio...so the music-track needs to be faded whenever some interesting audio-thing is happening.
As you become more-experienced, you can add Foley ( artificially made SFX) which you create yourself, or find On-Line. This allows the audience to "feel the vision" since the soundtrack is able to give them the sounds of "being there"  - even if the original is poor/absent/rubbish (due to vibration and rattles, etc.). Making your own SFX can be an Art in itself, although much easier with a hand-held digital recorder, like Zoom... starting at ~£80.

Cheers.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 02:18:43 Mobile | Show all posts

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules