View: 446|Reply: 6

Panasonic HC-VX1 - Buy UK/Aust model or US model?

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 02:19:06 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
Hello everyone, I'm looking for a camcorder to replaced my faulty Canon (Vixia) HF200.
As I reside in Singapore, the camcorder scene over here is pretty bleak and slow in introducing new models (the latest panasonic 4K model sold here is VX980 w/o viewfinder, a 2016 model)

Stumbled across the Panasonic HC-VX1 online which was newly released this year and kind of interested in it. Since Singapore does not have this model, I am deciding to purchase it online. Which means that I can either purchase from US (US model) or Australia (UK/Aust model), both of which are quite similarly and competitively priced.

However, this means that there is the slight variance of choices due to the country of origin, notably the 25p / 30p and 50p / 60p between the US and UK models.

From the user manual picture attached, you can see that apart from the frame rate differences, the rest of the specs be it hardware or software is technically the same. The AC power charger issue can be solved by purchasing an adapter so it is fine.

My question is, does the frame rate matters in this case? Eg. Would a recording of 3840 x 2160 @ 30p (US model) be better than 3840x 2160 @ 25p (UK model) instead? I also know about the difference in video systems such as PAL and NTSC which ultimately affects the frame rate system.
(FYI, in Singapore, equipment and devices are designed and based on UK power settings @ 60hz).

Thank you for your help and advice in advance!

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 02:19:07 Mobile | Show all posts
Welcome to the forum caix

If the frame rate is the only difference then I would suggest you go for the UK model so the power refresh rate at 50Hz & frame rate at 25/50fps match you local systems. In most cases this is not going to be an issue, but under artificial lighting you can get strange affects caused by the frame rate being out of sync with the flickering rate of the lights (mainly fluorescent lights).
However if you want to combine footage recorded on a mobile phone then hte US model may be better as most mobiles record video at 30/60fps

So really there is no hard & fast correct answer, it depends on a few things such as the above.

Good luck making a decision, and let us know how you get on.

Mark.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 2-12-2019 02:19:08 Mobile | Show all posts
Thanks Mark for your quick reply! You're right my LG V20 mobile phone footages are recorded in 60 fps. With regards to the flickering issues, is it due to the TV / Computer monitor display as it is powered by UK 60hz standards? So far I have not seen such flickering yet, shall read up on it. For me I think it should be a small issue for me.

My major concern is whether 4K videos shot in 25fps is going to be not as smooth as the ones shot in 30p mode? Or is it actually both 25fps & 30fps more or less exhibits the same choppiness quality, because I have seen sample videos on youtube online such as this:                                  which is really quite choppy due to the 25p recording mode. Also aware most 4k consumer-grade camcorders are still quite entry level as it does not offer 50/60 fps for 4k recordings.

Thanks again for your help, wanted to make sure my investment in a 4k camcorder is worthwhile, or to stick to full HD ones for now.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 02:19:09 Mobile | Show all posts
I shoot U16 soccer matches (Football Brisbane Div1 and Queensland Premier League) at both 1080p 50fps & 60fps. After editing, (2-cam   multiple remote audio recorders), I distribute on YT as 720p50/60. I prefer to shoot and distribute in 60Hz. My reasoning is that the likely viewing devices will be mobile phones, tablets and PCs, not smart TVs, and these devices will probably have a native screen refresh rate which is a multiple of 60Hz.

Also, I rationalize that the slightly higher shooting framerate will provide a bit better temporal resolution in the ¼x slo-mo replay sections.

But anytime a match is to be shot either partially or fully under lights, I set the camera to 50fps and distribute it as 720p50. The strobing of floodlit events, shot at 60fps, is quite intrusive. While the visual effect of the 50fps->60fps on-the-fly framerate conversion, which is occurring in the typical playback devices, is less disturbing.

Both my HC-V750 & HC-V775 can be switched to opening a service menu by a 3-camera-button/control hold-down. One of the options then showing is " SET PAL/NTSC".  Once I change this I have to reformat the storage medium (doesn't take long) under the new system.  (The file system is probably system-agnostic, but I think the associated backup and index files expect a specific system.)

BTW, the V750 came from the US and was a 60fps model initially, while the V775 was bought in Australia as a 50fps model.   The 5V plugpacks these come with will work from 110V-240V, just add a mains plug adapter. You can also use other 5V 2A USB plugpacks and battery powerbanks. I wouldn't waste any money getting a 2nd Panasonic Li-ion battery.

Dan.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 02:19:10 Mobile | Show all posts
Here it is:

Panasonic WXF1M, VXF1, VX1 & V800 service menu Change from PAL to NTSC via the Service menu. Increase frame rate by 20%

Done on a Panasonic HC-VXF1 camcorder, but I assume this will also work for the other 3 camcorders in the same lineup.

While the title of the video implies it's for PAL->NTSC, it's actually for switching in either direction.

The video shows a 4-finger salute. But I think you'll find, like I have, that a 3-finger version is sufficient. A 4-finger salute is difficult to execute. There is probably no need to hold down the Power button.

Be aware that you have to maintain the 4- or 3-figured salute for a few seconds.  Also, while these models have touch screens, in the service menu only the navigation/selection section down the bottom is touchable.

Dan.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 2-12-2019 02:19:10 Mobile | Show all posts
Thanks Dan for your valuable insights! Would definitely take into your considerations if I were to shoot in floodlit events. Also, since these models does have access to a service manual to set the PAL/NTSC frame rates, then perhaps it doesn't really matter where I buy them from already.

Thanks for the battery powerbank tips as well, was about to consider whether I should get a 2nd battery pack since I read about the battery life not as good as the pre-2010 camcorder era where it can last a good average 2hrs.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 02:19:11 Mobile | Show all posts
I agree with Dan regarding the powerpacks. The supplied battery will last about 1hr 40min and the larger  (and more expensive) battery about twice as long. A 20,000mAh powerpack is good for about 12hrs.
The point is that an external USB based supply will run the camera and recharge the battery when the camera is off. So a powerpack in your pocket or slung on a tripod will supply your filming needs for a few days (perhaps camping) I use my powerpacks for my cameras, lighting and the occasional use running a fan. Plus I have one 5000mAh PP running my Tascam DR-60D Audio recorder when I use condenser mics requiring 48V Phantom Power. (they flatten the internal AA batteries when Phantom Power is switched on)
There are a range of powerpacks including ones that are assisted with solar panels. They can be recharged from mains or a 12V supply in a car. (using an adapter)

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部