View: 668|Reply: 3

Recording over old miniDV tapes

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 02:20:12 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
I bought a second hand Hi8 Handycam a while ago and it came with some tapes. I'm not too familiar with older equipment (I'm more used to digital, but I'm trying out different types of cameras), and as the tapes came with existing footage I'd like to know how to record over it. Whenever I record something and view playback it shows the old footage (obviously it's just recording after). I feel stupid asking this as it's probably really obvious, but I'd much appreciate if someone could tell me how to record over the existing footage (from the beginning of the tape).

Thanks.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 02:20:13 Mobile | Show all posts
You could try one of the following methods
Rewind the tape to the beginningLeave the lens cap on and start recordingOnce tape has got to the end rewind it and try top record.In the early days of miniDV camcorders the above process was recommended and was called 'striping the tape' as it laid a continuous timecode onto the tape. However this also added a lot of extra wear & tear to the camcorder so many didn't bother. Plus it is mainly unnecessary with new or previously used tapes as if the camcorder is working correctly just recording over the footage on the tape should remove it and lay down the new recording. But if this is not working for you then try the stripping method mentioned above.

The other method is to expose the tape to a strong magnetic field. As the tape is magnetic this wipes anything that is recorded onto the tape and is widely used in IT for old backup tapes and is known as degaussing.

Mark.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 02:20:14 Mobile | Show all posts
Hey Mr. ZXCV,
There is another aspect to this... Older Video Tapes get what is called "Sticky Shed". This is where the Tape, over time, picks up moisture from the humidity which permits the Magnetic Emulsion to come loose from the Mylar Tape Backing Material. This will clog the Heads in the VCR, and make the tapes un-playable/un-recordable. The solution to this is to "Bake" the Video Tape!

Don't take this as advice from any kind of expert, for I am NOT one, BUT, know about this because just recently had some forty-six year old Quad (2") Video Tapes "restored" and "digitized (digitalized?)", and the fellow who did the deed "baked" the tapes to remove the humidity from them before digitizing them onto USB Flash Drives.

Would recommend doing some research using the terms "Sticky Shed", and "Baking Video Tapes".

HTH

JC

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 02:20:15 Mobile | Show all posts
Before you do any baking,  what's wrong with the original footage? If it's good, then the tape is in good condition....so leave it alone.
To test the camcorder you need a good tape, so it's up to you if you over-write ( Funny I though the process with a New tape was called "Blacking" . . . as that was what you got. )...
Make sure it's not write-protected and it should go well.

I don't understand why you say:  "...obviously it's just recording after..."   -are you saying it does Record, but somehow manages to avoid the earlier work?
If that's the situation, it may be something in the Menu that is Write-protecting, earlier footage.... although I thought this was not possible, since it implies your camcorder is playing-back ( to itself), before allowing recording.

Good Luck.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部