View: 1004|Reply: 19

Panasonic Batteries

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 02:20:27 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
2 weeks ago I bought a new Panasonic HC-VXF990 Camcorder from Jessops. Shortly after receipt I tried to buy an extra Panasonic battery for it, results to date, zilch!!!! I've tried Panasonic UK USA & Japan, Jessops Wex & any other company advertising them, no one has any stock. I'm loth to buy after market batteries a) because of Panasonics dire warnings & b) feedback on Amazon which is very inconsistent. Anyone know what's going on? The battery model is VW-VBT190 or 380 depending on capacity.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 02:20:28 Mobile | Show all posts
First you already have a Panasonic battery fitted. This can be recharged from any USB source. The 190 lasts about one hour and the 380 double that. You have what Panasonic call a DC lead with a DC plug on one end and a USB on the other.
I suggest you forget extra clip-on batteries and buy a power pack from Amazon. I use an AUKEY 20,000mAh pack to run and recharge both my Panasonic batteries and have used this for two years with no problems whatsoever.
I have used third party batteries on my 700 before I bought the power pack and they caused no problems, The camera recognised them and worked with them. Because of the power pack I have not bought any batteries, either Panasonic, or third party, since.
You could always try a reputable supplier like Duracell, they supply the 190 for £33.60.
An AUKEY Power Bank 20000mAh Portable Charger from Amazon costs £21.99 and will last for about 12 hours continuous filming.

P.S. I bought my batteries from Digitalmediastore
www.digitalmediastore.co.uk/accessories/device/view/d_id/114678
The 190 is £21.67 and the 380 is £26.53 both supplied by Dot.Foto. I know from experience that they work with Panasonic cameras. Plus Digitalmediastore were a good supplier for me. (note the caveat!)
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 2-12-2019 02:20:29 Mobile | Show all posts
HMMMMMMM! That solution won't work where I'm away from a power source, or need to get that clip that won't be there later. We always had spare batteries for our cameras, rotating them makes them last longer also. Re aftermarket batteries, I don't know how old your camcorder is, but manufacturers are getting more & more sophisticated in making sure we buy their products. If you check the feedback on Amazon, there are a number of reports on the aftermarket Panny batts where they weren't recognised by the camera.
I'm peeed off with Panasonic not coming back to say why the batt's are unavailable, maybe to the extent of sending it back & buying Sony.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 02:20:30 Mobile | Show all posts

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 02:20:31 Mobile | Show all posts
The VBT190 is the battery that is supplied with the camcorder.

Mark.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 02:20:33 Mobile | Show all posts

My camera uses EXACTLY the same batteries as yours, the 190 and 380. BUT I am recommending you use a power pack which has EXACTLY the same effect as a mains power supply to your camera. The spare battery in a power pack has at least 10x the life of a Panasonic battery. Do you want to buy ten Panasonic batteries?

What do you mean that "the solution will not work if you are away from a power source"? Being away from a power source applies to ANY battery driven item. When your batteries are exhausted you have "had it". The Power Pack option will guarantee that you never run out of battery for your camera because its capacity will carry you through a full day of videoing. When you get to a power source to recharge your spare Panasonic batteries, you can instead recharge a power pack. Simples.
Incidentally I have two power packs AUKEY 20,000mAh so when my first PP fails I have the second one in my pocket.
(Plus I can run LED lights, fans and other USB powered kit from the same power packs)
My solution may not suit you but it works and works well.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 2-12-2019 02:20:34 Mobile | Show all posts
I have a power pack that I got free from Screwfix a couple of years ago, I've never used it! When we de-cluttered & got rid of our DSLR's for bridge cameras it was so we were carting loads of stuff around. When I decide to go video I was hoping to do the same. I've bought a small camera bag as again I don't want to lug around a load of bits & pieces. I've managed to fit the camera, my Olympus recorder, the leads & 240v plug head for the camera, memory card, desk top folding tripod & a selfie stick, may ditch the Olympus & buy an add on mike, but I'll check how the camera mike is before I decide. Last night I ordered the Panasonic Mark found on Amazon, hopefully I can squeeze that in the bag also.
Finally I also have a small inverter I keep in the car for emergencies.
Lowepro Adventura SH 160 II Shoulder Bag

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 02:20:35 Mobile | Show all posts
We all have our way of doing things but I feel I should point out that I can just as easily recharge my power packs from the USB socket in my car.
The disadvantage of using inverters is the strain that they can put on the car battery. I have a 160W tyre inflater but this upsets the car software and demands that I run the engine before using the inflater. Fortunately the demand is short lived as I can correct the tyre pressures in just a few minutes.
Panasonic's approach of making their camera batteries work with USB charging is revolutionary. Sony's batteries normally run at 7.5V so cannot benefit from this flexible approach. I need mains to recharge the two Sony batteries I use for my floodlights. So I now have AA based 12V power packs to run the lights in emergency.
Even my Tascam DR-60D audio recorder uses an external 5V USB supply and I have a 5.000mAh AUKEY power pack velcroed to the back to support the internal batteries when I need the 48V Phantom Power for my condenser mics.

My experience with the on-board camera mics, with added wind muff, work up to a point. The wind noise attenuation works in a mild breeze but fails in anything stronger. An add on mic is a good idea.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 2-12-2019 02:20:36 Mobile | Show all posts
I get the impression you just want to inflict what you do on others, I've been on this earth for 78 years & have reached the stage in life where I just want a quiet life. This is my last word on the subject.. BTW I've also managed to get my action camera in the new bag, so if the panny drops dead I have a back up.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 02:20:37 Mobile | Show all posts
That is rather an aggressive statement and a bit silly. Personally I don't care how you run your camera but I felt it would be in your interest to know how others run theirs. When the 750 came out there were no third party battery suppliers and Panasonic charged the earth for their own batteries. The users experimented with ways to power their cameras cheaply and came up with the power pack solution which many now use.
My desire was to advise (not inflict) you as to a better solution to Panasonic batteries. You are clearly beyond taking any advice and help. I have used the Panasonic camcorders since 2011, that gives me seven years experience of their design and construction.

Use magic Report

12Next
Back New
You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部