Please select To the mobile version | Continue to access the desktop computer version
View: 649|Reply: 2

Sony Video 8 Handycam not working

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 02:21:19 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
As said in the title I'm using a Sony Video 8 Handycam (CCD-FX300E). I'm not really used to using video 8 cameras so this is all quite new to me, but I'm having a few problems with the one I bought. It was listed as being in full working order so I'm not sure what the problem is. Basically, after charging the battery and placing it in place, the camera mode (in the power switch) will not work at all. It's completely black as if it were still turned off. When I switch to player, sometimes it's just a blank white screen (presumably because nothing has been recorded) with a flashing red light beneath (the manual says it lights up when recording but flashes when the tape or battery needs to be changed). At one point I was lucky enough to get some sort of picture to appear, but it was incredibly noisy to the point where I could barely make out anything. That's the only time I've ever been able to get some sort of picture on it.

EDIT: Another detail to mention is that when ever I put the battery in and switch to camera mode, the screen turns on (same blank white picture) for a second then turns off with a click sound.

I tried leaving the tape holder open last night (attempting to remove any condensation that may have occurred while it was being delivered), but I'm still facing the same problem.

I've assumed it's down to the tape being faulty, as the camera came with three separate batteries, none of which have helped the camera to work, but I'd like to know for sure what the issue is before purchasing another one (though it's fair to say that it's most likely due to my incompetence with old tech). I'd really appreciate any feedback/help, thanks.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 02:21:20 Mobile | Show all posts
I am sorry but this is a very old camera, Video 8 and Hi-8 went out some years ago (I had a Sony Hi-8 camera back in the 90s)
I suggest you sell, get your money back or put on e-bay.
I went digital in 2005 with a Canon HV20 mini-dv but am now on to Panasonic with SD cards.

I suggest you buy from recent stock but avoid tape based cameras. There is nothing wrong with them when new but tape mechanisms wear and the heads get clogged up over time.
So I would recommend you look for a SD card based camera, preferably from Sony, Canon or Panasonic. You could risk one of the cheap ones off Amazon but not many have experience of them.
Sorry about that.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 02:21:21 Mobile | Show all posts
Agree with you Terfyn.... it reads like a lot of wasted time so far . . . but zxcv hasn't mentioned getting any help from the Seller...
If it was in full working order as described then the seller should be able to record something ( eg off the TV) which gives it a date-stamp.... by adding a street-scene that will show modern cars in daylight, etc.  
-It isn't too difficult to show you it's OK.
However, the value of such a camcorder is v.low as a working camcorder - unless you need one to play digitise  family tapes, for example. Or to complete a Museum collection.

There are plenty of "cheap" camcorders about, but it depends on what you need - an "Action" camcorder would be super for sports, modest diving etc..... but pretty poor for recording the children at play. Stick to the makes suggested anad you won't go too far wrong - but as always Buyer Beware . . .  anyone selling on-line is always suspicious . . . . much worse IMHO than buying from a man in the pub. etc. - at least there you can see it working before handing over money.
You may still be able to buy batteries... and maybe tape... but solid-state memory is so much easier to file away and Edit....
You will need a reasonably modern PC to do Video Edits and modern software needs a 64-bit operating system and pref. lots of RAM, like 8Gb. Ideally with a separate graphics card ( may rule-out many laptops) - as well as a modest Monitor ( rules out most laptops, IMHO).... you may be able to use yr TV if the graphics card has an HDMI output that suits yr TV. This could save buying a Monitor.

You've not said "why" you wanted a camcorder . . . . nor why you didn't ask here before buying...?

Is there a BUDGET for this new hobby?
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部