View: 664|Reply: 5

Frame rate for youtube videos????

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 02:21:22 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
OK bear with me here but hopefully this is simple question to answer.  I am planning on creating some vlogs which I am going to upload to YouTube.  I have Canon G7X II which I will use to film 95% of my vlogs however I will also record some footage on my IPhone 6.

Now my question is what frame rate do I record my vlogs in.  I have read lots of various articles which recommend shooting in 24fps all the way up to 60fps for slow motion shots.  I believe that the canon shoots in 25 and 50 fps but have been advised that if you change the settings in the camera to NTSC you can then shoot in either 24 or 60 fps.  It seems that many people recommend 24fps to give you a more 'cinematic' feel but I would need to change the camera settings to NTSC.  Would this be a problem?  I assume 25fps would give a very similar look.

As the videos will be uploaded to youtube what frame rate should I render the final videos in and then upload them to youtube in?  Does YouTube show videos in 30fps by default???

The videos I shoot on the iPhone will be 1080p at 30fps.  If I choose to shoot video on the canon at 24 or 25 fps can I then combine the two videos, iPhone and canon, in my video editing software and render them both at say 25fps and they should look ok?

Any advice guys.......

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 02:21:23 Mobile | Show all posts
Bit of a minefield this. I use the lowest possible setting to give my shows a reasonable download size. I watch quite a few other people uploads & sometimes have to reduce the quality to prevent rendering stopping the download / viewing. It also depends on what rate of internet connection the watcher has. I'm just going over to video full time so will be doing some experiments. If you have a paid YT account you will be able to upload at a much higher rate. If you haven't YT will down scale the size of your show.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 2-12-2019 02:21:24 Mobile | Show all posts
So it looks like I would be best shooting at 25fps????

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 02:21:24 Mobile | Show all posts
FWIW..... the phrase "Content is King" springs to mind - so whilst you may want the highest quality ( i.e. like you filmed it ), the end-viewer probably won't mind; as long as it's watchable. I'm not sure that "cinematic" is any better than any other setting - and I suspect it's a piece of Jargon used by folks that can't tell the (very slight) difference . . . . It's more-likely a Marketing-Feature to sell camcorders, or DSLR's.
Hints may be available, by YT Technicians - to help your settings choice.

Personally, I find YT audio is often too loud, so I have to use the on-screen slider . . . whilst this probably doesn't matter, it does mean there is little dynamic range left before clipping/distortion . . . and no settings will fix that,  once it's on YT.

Perhaps you can let us know the settings you find suitable....that way others can ....

Cheers.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 02:21:24 Mobile | Show all posts
My advice - don't try changing the frame rate on video you have already recorded as it will almost certainly look poor.

So based on the above try setting the camcorder to 'NTSC' so the frame rate matches your iPhone. This should only change the available frame rates as NTSC & PAL are old analogue video colour systems that are no longer relevant (but still frequently get used simply to define the frame rates) to HD digital video. Add to this that most computers only display at 60fps so NTSC is probably the best option if available to you.

Mark.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 02:21:25 Mobile | Show all posts
If your content is not action, i.e. just inside shots under artificial lights, try short test shoots for both 25p and 30p, upload them to YT and see which you prefer.  Theoretically, 25p will be better with 50Hz lighting and 30p should be better for many mobile and PC displays.

I shoot junior soccer using both 50p and 60p. Daytime, I use 60p. But if the match is partially or fully under floodlights, I use 50p. Otherwise I get an annoying flicker.

Note: this advice assumes your camera can switch recording framerates between 25p/50p & 30p/60p (so called "PAL" and "NTSC"), not the project/encoding framerate in your video editor.  If your camera can say, only shoot at 25p/50p, stick to these. For example, you could shoot in either 25p or 50p and output the edited version in 25p. (The extra smoothness of 50p is more for fast action.) Avoid 50i/60i.  To make sure I've made myself understood, don't do something like shooting in 25p/50p and then outputting in 24p/30p.

BTW, there are a number of programs around including the free YOUTUBE-DL.EXE which you can use to d/l the clip from YT. Be aware that YT always seems to re-compress the uploads. This will make the clip you d/l smaller (and a bit lower quality) than the one you originally uploaded.  Also I think YT's reprocessing reduces the Dynamic Range of the soundtrack.

Dan.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部