View: 253|Reply: 8

Unresponsive Dell Laptop

[Copy link]
2-12-2019 02:59:03 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
So I have a Dell laptop, I installed a sata ssd a while back and cloned the original drive to it with the softfare supplied by Crucial. Everything has been fine with it since, but it has now developed a problem.

It will boot up Wimdows 10 just fine and allow you to log in, but as soon as you click on an application it loads the app up but that app is unresponsive, any app this is. The most concerning part is you can't even use the start menu to restart or shut down, as that also becomes unresponsive.

I'm not sure what has happened, I wouldn't mind doing a complete clean install if I could actually access my files and back them up, but I can't even get into my files. Only thing I can think is there is a virus, one of the windows insider updates has broken something or not installed correctly.

Any advice appreciated, I'd at least like to get it working well enough til black friday comes around and see if there is anything decent in a black friday sale.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 02:59:04 Mobile | Show all posts
Various options you can try. if you can get to the command prompt or powershell, (right click on the start menu and choose powershell or command prompt with administrator rights).
type sfc /scannow, this will run system files checker for corrupt files. If that doesn't work  if it is a virus you could download one of the antivirus rescue iso files burn that to a DVD, boot off that and allow it to scan and possibly fix the problem.
Here is a link to AVG rescue CD
You will obviously need a working PC to make the rescue disk.
You could also try hirens boot CD boot off that and see if you can copy your files onto a flash drive and then do a windows 10 reset
Alternatively if you still have the old drive pop that back in and see if you still have the problem, if the problem goes away that eliminates a motherboard problem. You can then update your antivirus and run a scan on the external drive that you removed, also a SMART test on the SSD wouldn't be a bad idea either.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Author| 2-12-2019 02:59:05 Mobile | Show all posts
I forgot to mention, that I did get it working well enough, I done a system reset(I think thats what it was called) were it reinstalls windows but keeps you files, but that didn't fix it. Its a bit annoying as I've got Bitdefender and if it is a virus, I won't be too impressed as I never got one back when Barclays used to offer Kaspersky for free.

I'll try your suggestions when I get a bit of spare time.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 02:59:06 Mobile | Show all posts
I've encountered a similar kind of problem but it may not be the same cause as yours.

In my case it was corruption of the user account folder, it caused the kinds of problems you describe. Because of the built in Windows Store it is a mesh of systems including the start menu all tied to your user profile/folder, something happens to that and you get problems.

If still having issues you may have to choose the reset my PC->remove everything option, this deletes all personal data on the computer, so anything important back up to a USB drive.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 02:59:07 Mobile | Show all posts
What happens if you start in Safe Mode?

Shutdown the machine and restart whilst repeatedly pressing F8 key

Start Safe Mode with networking

When in Safe Mode you might have to connect your internet connection.

Download Malwarebytse, and install it , you van either use the free version or try the pro 14 day trial. It's one of the best in finding infections.

Malwarebytes Download - Free Virus Scan & Virus Protection Tool

Run Malwarebytes to see if you have any infections. If it finds anything the either quarantine or delete it's findings.

Let us know how you get on.

Use magic Report

Author| 2-12-2019 02:59:07 Mobile | Show all posts
I'll give it ago Sunday as I'm now working a sixth shift and I'll report back. Cheers

Use magic Report

Author| 2-12-2019 02:59:08 Mobile | Show all posts
I ran the command/powershell thing and it didn't pick up any issues, so downloaded Malwarebytes and ran that and it pick up 1 malware and 9 issues(not sure what is meant by issues). The laptop now works some of the time, it's a bit hit and miss, requiring hard reset sometimes when the issue does happen.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 02:59:09 Mobile | Show all posts
I would also test the RAM with windows memory tool,  in the start search box type "memory" and follow the prompts

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 02:59:10 Mobile | Show all posts
If you haven't already deleted the stuff found from the Quarantine Log can you post the Malwarebytes quarantine log?

Open Malwarebytes
Click Detection History
Take a snapshot of the Detection History window

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部